California State Senate, District 17
|Profession||Small Business Owner|
Parker was defeated by Sharon Runner (R) in the special election for California State Senate, District 17. A special election primary was held on February 15, 2010. Since only two candidates appeared on the ballot, Runner avoided the special run-off election originally scheduled for April 19.
The election was the first to follow the new primary structure created by Proposition 14 which passed in June of 2010. Under the new rules, all candidates will participate in a single primary with the top two candidates (unless one gets more than 50% of the vote) moving to a run-off in the general election. All registered voters may vote in the primary.
- KHTS AM 1220, "Runner Resigns Today To Consolidate Election Process," December 21, 2010
- Hermosa Beach Patch, "Few hats in the ring for Oropeza's state Senate seat," December 18, 2010
- LA Times, "Winners avoid runoffs in two special elections for California Senate," February 16, 2011"
- California Secretary of State, "Special Election Calendar"
- Redondo Beach Patch, "Feb. 15 Set for Special Election to Fill Oropeza's Seat," December 17, 2010