Revision as of 12:23, 4 May 2011 by TylerM
Wisconsin Assembly District 83
Craig is a native of southeastern Wisconsin and currently works as a congressional aide to Rep. Paul Ryan. He is married to his wife, Amy. They have four children.
On his 2011 campaign site, Craig details his policy platform:
- Governing Philosophy: "I believe that that government is best which governs least. I believe that taxing of one’s income and regulation of one’s actions are inherently restrictive to liberty."
- State Budget Reform: "I believe our state government is too big. Every household in Wisconsin has had to adjust it’s budget during these hard economic times. Our state government should be no different. I oppose raising taxes, fees or raiding segregated funds to fill our budget deficit. We need to implement massive spending cuts immediately and put our government on a spending diet that respects our individual liberties and our businesses. I PLEDGE TO OPPOSE ANY BUDGET THAT RAISES TAXES."
- Life: "I believe that life begins at conception. I oppose efforts to legalize assisted suicide. While the state should intervene as little as possible in peoples’ lives, I believe the state has an inherent role in promoting a civil society that respects life at all stages."
- Marriage: "I believe marriage should be between one man and one woman. I am opposed to any legislation allowing for same sex marriages or civil unions."
- Taxes: "Our state tax code is beginning to rival the federal tax code in complexity. I believe we need to overhaul our current tax code and replace it with a simplified system. I would look at all possible reforms, including REPLACING our current progressive tax code with a consumption tax or flat tax."
- Health Care Reform: "I support state action challenging the Constitutionality of the new federal health care mandate."
- Education: "We must reduce the tax and regulatory burden on families, allowing for more opportunity for involvement in the education of their children. I support parental choice in education, including the use of vouchers."
- Energy: "I support lifting the moratorium limiting nuclear energy production. I oppose all efforts to institute a statewide cap and trade system, or any other taxing system that penalizes carbon dioxide production."
- Tort Reform: "Our system has been abused time and time again in awarding massive non-economic damage awards to plaintiffs. This practice stifles business, bogs down the courts and tramples individual liberties. For these reasons, I support legislation capping non-economic damages."
- 2nd Amendment: "I believe this vision includes the right to carry arms, be it openly or concealed. I further believe that the legislature should approve “Castle Doctrine” legislation."
- WKBT "3 Wis. lawmakers bid adieu to take jobs with gov", January 3, 2011
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Governor Orders Special Elections for Three Assembly Seats," February 23, 2011
- The Journal Times, "Two candidates running for Rep. Gunderson’s seat - May 3 election," March 29, 2011
- Daily Journal, "Republican Craig defeats Brownlow for Assembly seat in southeast Wisconsin district," May 03, 2011
|Wisconsin State Assembly District 83
| Succeeded by|