Difference between revisions of "Dave Syverson"
|Line 95:||Line 95:|
|Line 246:||Line 250:|
Revision as of 14:48, 9 December 2011
|Illinois State Senate District 34|
|1993 - Present|
|January 12, 2013|
|Years in position||21|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|First elected||November 1992|
|Next general||November 6, 2012|
|Bachelor's||Rock Valley College|
|Birthday||June 29, 1957|
|Place of birth||Chicago, Illinois|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Syverson has been appointed to these committees:
- Appropriations Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Committee of the Whole, Illinois Senate
- Gaming Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Human Services Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Insurance Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Public Health Committee, Illinois State Senate, Ranking Minority Member
- Commission on Government Forecasting and Accountability
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Syverson served on these committees:
- Appropriations I
- Deficit Reduction
- Gaming Republican Ranking Member
- Human Services
- Public Health Republican Ranking Member.
On December 1, 2010, the Illinois Senate voted 31-20 in favor of a plan that allows for five additional casinos and electronic gaming at horse track facilities, increasing the number of licenses for casinos in the state to 15.
Under the plan, new casinos would operate in Chicago, southern Cook County, Danville, Rockford and Waukegan.
"Is it a huge expansion? Yes, I'm not going to deny it. But we have a huge deficit in the state of Illinois, we have got huge problems in the state of Illinois, so you don't look at little things to fix it, you look at big things to fix it," said the bill's sponsor, Sen. Terry Link, D-Waukegan.
Lawmakers like William Haine would prefer another way to increase revenue.
"It's not the best thing we could do. It's not good, but it's the only thing available for new * Revenue Committee, Illinois State Senate," said Sen. Haine, D-Alton.
Syverson said a casino in his backyard could keep Illinois gamers from going up to Wisconsin to play the slots.
"Now we have an opportunity to bring those Wisconsin dollars to Illinois," Swerson said. "So it's good for Illinois in two ways. One it's creating new jobs and new * Revenue Committee, Illinois State Senate, but it's also bringing out-of-state money here."
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2012
Syverson, current District 34 incumbent, is running for re-election to the Senate in District 35 in the 2012. Syverson is running against incumbent Christine Johnson in the Republican primary on March 20, 2012.
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2010
|Illinois State Senate, District 34 (2010)|
|Dave Syverson (R)||28,145||52.56%|
|Marla Wilson (D)||25,407||47.44%|
The election took place on November 2, 2010. Syverson ran unopposed in the Republican primary election on February 2nd.
|Illinois State Senate, District 34 (2006)|
|Dave Syverson (R)||29,131|
|Daniel Lewandowski (D)||23,120|
In 2008, Syverson collected $289,536 in donations.
Listed below are those that contributed most to his campaign.
|Ringland-Johnson Construction Co.||$20,000|
|First Ranger Petroleum||$15,000|
|Chicago Auto Trade Association||$7,000|
|Rock Valley Oil & Chemical Co.||$5,000|
|Illinois State Dental Society||$5,000|
|Alden-Alma Nelson Manor Inc.||$5,000|
|Professional Independent Insurance Agents of Illinois||$4,500|
|Associated Beer Distributors of Illinois||$4,000|
|Rockford Ambulatory Surgery Center||$4,000|
|OSF Saint Francis Inc.||$3,500|
|Rockford Anesthesiologists Associates||$3,000|
|John Deere & Co.||$3,000|
|Darecloud Development Inc.||$2,500|
|Area Erectors Inc.||$2,500|
Syverson represents Illinois Senate District 34. District 34 includes the Rockford region and surrounding Boone County.
Dave is married to Shirley Syverson. They have two children and reside in Rockford, Illinois.
- Sen. Syverson's website
- Biography from the Illinois General Assembly
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998, 1996
- Dave Syverson on Facebook
- "Illinois General Assembly" List of Illinois Senate Committees, July 28, 2009
- "Senate OKs new gaming rules in Illinois," Illinois Statehouse News, December 1, 2010
- Illinois State Board of Elections "Candidate List," December 5, 2011
- 2010 Illinois General Election Results
- 2010 Illinois Primary Election Results
- Illinois Senate election results for 2006
- Syverson Campaign Donors
- "Illinois Chamber of * Commerce Committee, Illinois State Senate, Northeast Illinois Legislative District Maps, July 29, 2009
|Illinois Senate District 34
| Succeeded by|