For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Mississippi House of Representatives District 122|
|2012 - present|
|January 3, 2016|
|Years in position||3|
|Base salary||$10,000 per year|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 8, 2011|
|First elected||November 8, 2011|
|Next general||November 3, 2015|
|Mississippi State Senate, District 46|
|2008 - 2012|
|Bachelor's||University of Southern Mississippi|
|J.D.||University of Mississippi, 1990|
|Date of birth||12/04/1962|
|Place of birth||Pascagoula, MS|
Baria worked as an Attorney for various firms from 1990 to 2002. He then worked for Baria, Hankins, and Stracenes from 2002 to 2005. He has been CEO of Rhino Construction, Limited Liability Company, from 2005 to the present.
Baria earned his BS from the University of Southern Mississippi in 1987. He went on to receive his JD from the University of Mississippi in 1990.
During the 2012-2013 legislative session, Baria has been appointed to the following committees:
During the 2010-2011 legislative session, Baria was appointed to the following committees:
- Constitution Committee, Mississippi Senate
- Environment Prot, Cons and Water Res Committee, Mississippi Senate
- Ethics Committee, Mississippi Senate
- Finance Committee, Mississippi Senate
- Judiciary, Division B Committee, Mississippi Senate
- Ports and Marine Resources Committee, Mississippi Senate
- Tourism Committee, Mississippi Senate
On his 2011 campaign website, Baria lists the following six priorities:
- "Holding Government Accountable; Transparency in Action"
- "Making homeowner insurance more affordable"
- "Leading tourism recovery for Mississippi Gulf Coast"
- "Funding Hancock County Schools"
- "Helping our seafood industry: holding BP accountable"
- "Dedicated to continuing Hurricane Katrina recovery"
On November 8, 2011, Baria won election to District 122 of the Mississippi House of Representatives. He ran unopposed in the August 2 primary and defeated Republican candidate Dorothy Wilcox in the November 8 general election. 
Baria said he decided to run for House in order to have more of an impact as a legislator. “The power in the Legislature is vested in the committee system. In the House I’m much more likely to have better assignments ... People who know me will tell you I am not a back-bencher. I ran because I wanted to go to Jackson and effectuate some change, particularly in insurance and how we handle insurance claims,” he stated.
|Mississippi House of Representatives, District 122 General Election, 2011|
- See also: Mississippi State Senate elections, 2007
David Baria raised $124,118 for his campaign.
|Mississippi Senate, District 46|
|David Baria (D)||9,072||77%|
|James Overstreet (C)||2,712||23%|
In 2009 David Baria collected $35,480 in donations. 
His four largest contributors in 2009 were:
|Capitol Advocacy Group||$1,000|
|Knights Marine & Ind. Serv.||$1,000|
Baria and his wife, Marcie, have two children.
Post Office Box 1018
Jackson, MS 39215
167 Blue Heron Cove
Bay Saint Louis, MS 39576
Phone: 228-466-0815 (Home)
Phone: 228-270-0001 (Work)
- David Baria's personal website
- Mississippi Senator Page
- Legislative profile on Project Vote Smart
- Biography on Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2009, 2007
- David Baria, "Issues," accessed October 27, 2011
- Mississippi Secretary of State, 2011 Official Primary Candidate List
- Sun Herald, "Baria, Wilcox battle for Hancock County House seat," October 23, 2011
- Mississippi State Senate official election results for 2007
- Follow the Money's report on Baria's 2007 campaign contributions
- 2009 contributors to David Baria
|Mississippi House of Representatives District 122
2012 – Present
| Succeeded by|
|Mississippi State Senate District 46
| Succeeded by|