|Illinois State Senate District 46|
|2006 - Present|
|January 11, 2017|
|Years in position||9|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 7, 2006|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|Peoria City Council|
|1989 – 1997|
|Bachelor's||Yankton College (1971)|
|Other||United Theological Seminary|
|Profession||Co-Owner, Peoria Bread Company|
Koehler graduated from Yankton College with his Bachelor's Degree in 1971 and also with a Masters in Divinity from United Theological Seminary.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Koehler served on these committees:
- Agriculture and Conservation Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Committee of the Whole, Illinois Senate
- Energy Committee, Illinois State Senate, Vice Chair
- Labor Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Local Government Committee, Illinois State Senate, Chair
- Subcommittee on Amendments (Local Government), Vice Chair
- Subcommittee on Special Issues (Labor)
- Transportation Committee, Illinois State Senate
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Koehler served on these committees:
Koehler's campaign website lists the following issues:
- Creating Jobs and Growing the Economy
- Excerpt: " Creating sustainable jobs is Senator Koehler’s top priority. By working with area businesses and local communities to identify and develop important projects, Senator Koehler has helped to create thousands of jobs in central Illinois. ...Senator Koehler also favors the passage of a new capital bill to continue the improvement of our infrastructure and bring more jobs to Illinois."
- Helping Families in Need
- Excerpt: "As a State Senator, Dave is willing to make the tough decisions necessary to ensure that valuable services remain in place for working families who are trying to get ahead."
- Improving Education
- Excerpt: "School funding is a major issue in most states. Senator Koehler believes that Illinois can do a more equitable job of funding our schools by funding them through state government and less through property taxes. ...“One size fits all” mandates do not help educators. Sen. Koehler believes that Illinois needs to illuminate goals for students and teachers rather than mandate methods."
- Pension Reform
- Excerpt: "One, is to protect the lower end of the pension spectrum and target cutbacks to the upper end. Second, I believe we need to look at recent reform models used in other states such as the Rhode Island reform plan. On the issue of Teacher Retirement System pensions, I do not support the governor’s plan to shift the entire responsibility of the system to local school districts."
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2012
Koehler won election in the 2012 election for Illinois State Senate District 46. On June 3, 2011, Koehler announced he was running for the 17th U.S. Congressional District in 2012. However, on December 2, 2011, he announced he would be seeking re-election to the state Senate instead. Koehler defeated James Polk and Marvin Bainter in the Democratic primary on March 20, 2012 and defeated Republican Pat Sullivan in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Illinois State Senate, District 46, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||David Koehler Incumbent||54.2%||45,054|
|Illinois State Senate Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Dave Koehler Incumbent||74%||5,552|
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2010
|Illinois State Senate, District 43 (2010)|
|David Koehler (D)||43,474||100.0%|
Koehler ran unopposed in the Democratic primary election on February 2nd.
|Illinois State Senate, District 46 (2006)|
|David Koehler (D)||32,873|
|Ernest Russell (R)||24,209|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
In 2010, Koehler received $161,530 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Illinois State Senate 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to David Koehler's campaign in 2010|
|Illinois Education Association||$12,000|
|Friends Of James Clayborne||$7,500|
|Steamfitters Local 353||$5,000|
|Illinois Auto Workers||$5,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$161,530|
In 2006, Koehler collected $115,543 in donations.
Listed below are those that contributed most to his campaign.
|Friends of Clayborne||$7,000|
|Illinois Credit Union League||$6,634|
|Associated Fire Fighters of Illinois||$6,000|
|Electrical Workers Local 34||$5,500|
|Associated Beer Distributors of Illinois||$5,100|
|Illinois Trial Lawyers Association||$5,000|
|Illinois Auto Workers||$4,700|
|Mid-Central Illinois District Council of Carpenters||$4,600|
|Steamfitters Local 353||$4,600|
|Community Bankers Association of Illinois||$3,000|
|Illinois Automobile Dealers Association||$2,950|
|Illinois Realtors Association||$2,500|
|Peoria Disposal Co.||$2,500|
|International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers||$2,500|
|OSF Saint Francis Inc.||$2,500|
|Illinois Federation of Teachers||$2,000|
|Deep Blue Illinois||$2,000|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term David + Koehler + Illinois + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Koehler represents Illinois Senate District 46. District 46 includes Northwest Illinois including the cities of Dixon and Freeport.
David is married to Nora Sullivan. They have three children and reside in Pekin, Illinois.
- Summary, biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Project Vote Smart
- Profile at Wikipedia
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006
- Sen. Koehler on State Surge
- "Illinois General Assembly" List of Illinois Senate Committees, July 28, 2009
- David Koehler, "Issues," accessed October 23, 2012
- Peoria Journal Star, "Koehler announces bid for 17th Congressional District seat," June 4, 2011
- Peoria Journal Star, "Koehler decision not huge shake-up," December 3, 2011
- Illinois State Board of Elections "Candidate List," December 5, 2011
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Official 2012 Primary Results"
- Illinois State Board of Elections-2012 primary results
- Illinois State Board of Elections, “Official Vote - November 6, 2012 General Election,” accessed December 31, 2012
- 2010 Illinois General Election Results
- 2010 Illinois Primary Election Results
- Illinois Senate election results for 2006
- Follow the Money - 2010 contributions
- Koehler Campaign Donors
- "Illinois Chamber of * Commerce Committee, Illinois State Senate, Northeast Illinois Legislative District Maps, July 29, 2009
|Illinois Senate District 46
| Succeeded by|