|Illinois House of Representatives District 52|
|2013 - Present|
|January 14, 2015|
|Years in position||0|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Duke University (1987)|
|Master's||Duke Fuqua School of Business (1988)|
|Place of birth||Park Ridge, Illinois|
McSweeney earned his BA in Economics from Duke University in 1987. He went on to receive his MBA from Duke Fuqua School of Business in 1988. From 1995 to 2000, he served as Palatine Township Trustee.
Campaign funding sources
McSweeney self-financed his 2006 campaign with $2,766,938, 55% of his total campaign financing, with only 30% attributed to individual contributions.
As of early November 2012, the 2012 State House race was the most expensive in Illinois, with about $1.5 million raised between the two candidates. McSweeney is again relying heavily on self-financing. His opponent, Independent Dee Beaubien, has purportedly had $428,000 in donations to her coming from three campaign funds operated by Democratic House Speaker Michael Madigan. David McSweeney suggested in an interview that this funding showed she was not actually a political independent, but rather a de facto member of the Democratic Party.
Eliminating office of Lieutenant Governor
In a bill filed in the state house, McSweeney proposed eliminating the office of the Illinois Lieutenant Governor. The bill, which would require a constitutional amendment and a voter referendum, passed the House 83 to 28. Current Illinois Lieutenant Governor Sheila Simon (D) opposes the bill. Illinois Governor Pat Quinn (D) served as Lieutenant Governor before the resignation of former Governor Rod Blagojevich (D).
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, McSweeney served on the following committees:
|Illinois Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Appropriations-Elementary & Secondary Education|
|• Personnel & Pensions|
|• Revenue & Finance|
|• State Government Administration|
|• Tollway Oversight|
McSweeney won election in the 2012 election for Illinois House of Representatives District 52. McSweeney defeated incumbent Kent Gaffney and Danielle Rowe in the March 20 Republican primary and defeated Independent Dee Beaubien in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 52, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||David McSweeney Incumbent||59.3%||26,761|
|Illinois House of Representatives Republican Primary, 2012|
McSweeney's campaign website listed the following endorsements:
- Dan Rutherford - Illinois State Treasurer
- Tom Cross - Illinois House Republican Leader
- Kent Gaffney - State Representative, 52nd District
- Pamela J. Althoff - Illinois State Senator, 32nd District
- Dan Duffy - Illinois State Senator, 26th District
McSweeney and his wife, Margaret, have two children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "David + McSweeney + Illinois + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Extension:RSS -- Error: Not a valid URL: http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&gl=us&q=David+McSweeney+Illinois+Senate&um=1&ie=UTF-8&output=rss%7Ctemplate=slpfeed%7Cmax=10%7Ctitle=David McSweeney News Feed
- Profile at Facebook
- Profile at Twitter
- Summary, biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Project Vote Smart
- Campaign finance reports and data at the Federal Election Commission
- Campaign contributions at Follow The Money
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Profile at Wikipedia
- Campaign finance information for 2006 Illinois District 8 campaign
- Candidate questionnaire at The Chicago Tribune
- Candidate questionnaire at The Daily Herald
- Candidate questionnaire at The Northwest Herald
- Total Raised and Spent in 2006 Race: Illinois District 08, Center for Responsive Politics
- David McSweeney, National Institute on Money in State Politics
- The Chicago Sun-Times, "Madigan’s presence felt in 52nd House District race," November 1, 2012
- Chicago Tribune, "House votes to eliminate lieutenant governor post," April 12, 2013
- Illinois State Board of Elections "Candidate List," December 5, 2011
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Official 2012 Primary Results"
- Illinois State Board of Elections, accessed October 21, 2012
- Illinois State Board of Elections, “Official Vote - November 6, 2012 General Election,” accessed January 18, 2013
- David McSweeney, "Endorsements," accessed October 21, 2012
Kent Gaffney (R)
|Illinois House of Representatives District 52
| Succeeded by|
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |