For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, will be limited. Select races will be covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
David Simpson (Texas)
|Texas State House, District 7|
|2011 - Present|
|January 13, 2015|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Date of birth||06/27/1961|
|Place of birth||Lubbock, TX|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Simpson served on the following committees:
|Texas Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• County Affairs|
|• Land & Resource Management|
During the 2011-2012 legislative session, Simpson served on the following Texas House of Representatives committees:
|Texas Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Border & Intergovernmental Affairs|
|• Urban Affairs|
Simpson's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Ensure election integrity with photo ID
- Excerpt:"Voter registration cards that are issued and controlled by each county’s election officer should eventually include a photograph of the voter and should only be issued upon verification of citizenship and residency. Such rolls should be regularly and systematically purged of voters that have moved outside the precinct or are deceased."
Secure the border
- Excerpt:"I favor efforts to reform the naturalization process that facilitates the acceptance of law-abiding applicants. I also support measures to increase and facilitate the issuance of visas to law-abiding temporary workers. Illegal aliens, however, including temporary workers who out-stay their visas, should be fined and deported."
Enforce the 10th Amendment
- Excerpt:"I will defend State sovereignty and oppose all unfunded mandates and unconstitutional encroachments of the federal government (such as Obamacare, Cap-and-Tax, Gun Control, etc.) upon Texans and the State of Texas."
Protect human life
- Excerpt:"I am opposed to abortion, harvesting of embryonic stem cells and euthanasia. And I will be a staunch defender of traditional East Texas family values."
Protect individual liberty
- Excerpt:"I am opposed to coercive religious service or support. I believe moral rectitude is the most determinative factor on whether a nation, a state, or a community prospers. However, this cannot be forced upon individuals. It comes from within — from a transformed heart and faith."
Simpson ran in the 2012 election for Texas House of Representatives, District 7. Simpson defeated Tommy Merritt in the May 29 primary election and was unchallenged in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Texas House of Representatives District 7 Republican Primary, 2012|
|David Simpson Incumbent||61.6%||10,258|
In the March 2 Republican primary election, Simpson defeated incumbent Tommy Merritt by a margin of 7,891-7,032. Merritt was seeking his eighth term. Simpson defeated Eric Brandt (L) in the general election on November 2, 2010.
| Texas House of Representatives, District 7 |
2010 General election results
|David Simpson (R)||27,069||91.27%|
|Eric Brandt (L)||2,589||8.72%|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
Simpson raised a total of $177,368 in 2010. Below are Simpson's top 7 campaign contributors in the 2010 election:
|Texans for Lawsuit Reform||$10,000|
|Farmers Insurance Group||$5,000|
|MML Ventures LTD||$5,000|
Empower Texans Fiscal Responsibility Index
Empower Texans produces the Fiscal Responsibility Index as "a measurement of how lawmakers perform on size and role of government issues." The index uses "exemplar votes on core budget and free enterprise issues that demonstrate legislators' governing philosophy." Legislators are graded along a standard grading scale, receiving grades A through F based on their performance during the legislative session.
David Simpson received a grade of A+ on the 2011 Fiscal Responsibility Index.
- 2011 Taxpayer Champion. Simpson was named a "2011 Taxpayer Champion," which is "the top award presented by Texans for Fiscal Responsibility to legislators based on their rating on the most recent Fiscal Responsibility Index."
Simpson and his wife, Susan have seven children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term David + Simpson + Texas + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official campaign website
- Texas House member page
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- David Simpson on Facebook
- David Simpson on Twitter
- davidsimpson.com - Issues
- Texas GOP list of candidates for 2012 Elections
- Texas Secretary of State Election History
- Office of the (Texas) Secretary of State, "Race Summary Report," accessed July 12, 2012
- Results for March 2, 2010 primary in Texas
- Official Texas Election Results
- Follow the Money - 2010 Campaign contributions
- Empower Texans, "Fiscal Responsibility Index"
- Empower Texans, "2011 Taxpayer Champions
Tommy Merritt (R)
|Texas House of Representatives District 7
| Succeeded by|
State of Texas
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Secretary of State | Attorney General | Comptroller | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of General Land Office | Chairman of Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Utilities | Chairman of Railroad Commission |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
Texas school districts A - L |
Texas school districts M - Z |