For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 1B|
|2011 - present|
|January 6, 2015|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Committee assignments
- 3 Issues
- 4 Election history
- 5 Campaign donors
- 6 Scorecards
- 7 Personal
- 8 Recent news
- 9 External links
- 10 References
Kiel attended Concordia College. Her professional experience includes working as a farmer.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Kiel served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Agriculture Policy|
|• Education Policy|
|• Environment, Natural Resources and Agriculture Finance|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Kiel served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Agriculture and Rural Development|
|• Education Reform|
|• Transportation Policy and Finance|
Kiel's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "I Believe That Minnesota should be fiscally conservative, always operating within its means and with a balanced budget. "
- Excerpt: "I Believe Every life is important and we should protect our unborn children, the elderly and the vulnerable from beginning to end of life."
- Excerpt: "I Believe In protecting our right to bear Arms so citizens are safe and Sportsman can enjoy hunting activities."
- Excerpt: "I Believe That Marriage is between one man and one woman."
- Excerpt: "I Believe In Individual responsibility hard work and self reliance."
Kiel won re-election in the 2012 election for Minnesota House of Representatives District 1B. She was unopposed in the Republican primary on August 7 and defeated Marc Demers (D) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 1B, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Debra Keil Incumbent||52%||9,401|
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 1B (2010)|
|Bernie Lieder (DFL)||6,397||49.47%|
|Debra Kiel (R)||6,528||50.48%|
Comprehensive donor information for Kiel is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Kiel raised a total of $59,563 during that time period. This information was last updated on December 12, 2013.
|Debra Kiel's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Minnesota House, District 1B||$37,303|
|2010||Minnesota House, District 1B||$22,260|
|Grand Total Raised||$59,563|
2012Kiel won re-election to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Kiel raised a total of $37,303.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Debra Kiel's campaign in 2012|
|Mark A. Murdock District 10B Committee||$1,000|
|Beiswenger, Lu Ann||$500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$37,303|
|Source:Follow the Money|
In 2010, Kiel received $22,260 in campaign donations. The largest donors are listed below.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Debra Kiel's campaign in 2010|
|Kiel Volunteer Cmte||$2,473|
|Okins, Allan & Rosemary||$500|
|Beiswenger, Rod & Luann||$500|
|Total Raised in 2010||$22,260|
Taxpayers League of Minnesota
The Taxpayers League of Minnesota, a Minnesota-based taxpayer advocacy organization, releases a legislative scorecard for the Minnesota House of Representatives and Minnesota State Senate once a year. The scorecard gives each legislator a score based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on tax issues and “their efforts to balance the state budget without a tax increase.” The organization also compiles a legislator’s individual "Lifetime Score."
Kiel and her husband, Lonn, have four children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Debra + Kiel + Minnesota + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Office website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- Campaign Facebook page
- Twitter account
- Flickr account
- "debkiel," Official Campaign Website
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2012 State General Election Candidate Filings," retrieved June 18, 2012
- Minnesota Secretary of State, Official 2012 Primary Results
- Minnesota Secretary of State – 2010 General Election Results
- Follow the Money, "Kiel, Deb," accessed December 12, 2013
- Follow the Money - 2010 Campaign contributions
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecards," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2013," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2012," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2011," accessed May 15, 2014
Bernie Lieder (DFL)
|Minnesota House of Representatives District 1B
| Succeeded by|
State of Minnesota
St. Paul (capital)
Minnesota State Constitution | House of Representatives | Senate | County Attorney | House Research Department | Legislative Reference Library | Senate Counsel Research and Fiscal Analysis | Legislative Auditor |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Commissioner of Management and Budget | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chair of Public Utilities |