Delaware State Senate elections, 2010
- 1 Campaign contributions
- 2 Qualifications
- 3 Current partisan composition
- 4 List of candidates
- 5 See also
- 6 External links
- 7 References
The primary nomination process for candidates wishing to run in these elections is to gain the party's nomination at state conventions held by the state's two major political parties in May. Candidates wishing to run as independents can submit nominating signatures up through July 30. The primary election day is September 14, 2010.
In Delaware, senators serve four-year terms with no term limits.
The incumbent senator is running for re-election in eight of the eleven senate seats up for election in 2010. (72.72%)
This chart shows how many candidates ran for state senate in Delaware in past years and the cumulative amount of campaign contributions in state senate races, including contributions in both primary and general election contests. All figures come from Follow The Money.
|Year||Number of candidates||Total contributions|
Article II, Section 3 of the Delaware Constitution states: No person shall be a Senator who shall not have attained the age of twenty-seven years and have been a citizen and inhabitant of the State three years next preceding the day of his election and the last year of that term an inhabitant of the Senatorial District in which he shall be chosen, unless he shall have been absent on the public business of the United States or of this State.
Current partisan composition
- See also: Partisan composition of state senates
|Party||As of May 2015|
List of candidates
- Harris McDowell (D) Incumbent McDowell has represented District 1 since 1976.
- Christopher Counihan (D)
- Catherine Cloutier (R) Incumbent Cloutier has represented District 5 since 2000.
- Patricia Blevins (D) Incumbent Blevins has represented District 7 since 1990.
- Frederick R. Cullins (R)
- Karen Peterson (D) Incumbent Peterson has represented District 9 since February 2010.
- Dorinda Connor (R) Incumbent Connor has represented District 12 since 1997.
- David McBride (D) Incumbent McBride has represented District 13 since 1980.
- David G. Lawson (R)
- Delaware State Senate
- Delaware State Legislature
- State legislative elections, 2010
- Primary election dates in 2010