|Alabama House of Representatives District 53|
|November 5, 2014|
|Years in position||28|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Wilberforce University, 1949|
|J.D.||Boston University, 1952|
|Birthday||March 15, 1928|
|Place of birth||Fairfield, AL|
Newton is currently a privately practicing attorney as well as an attorney for the city of Birmingham. He has worked as a Judge of the city of Brownville from 1972-1978 and served in the United States Army from 1952-1954.
Newton is a member of a number of organizations, including 101 Black Men, Alabama Bar Association, American Bar Association, American Judicature Society, Mount Olive Baptist Church, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, National Bar Association, Vulcan Gold Club, 33rd Degree Masons, and the American Legion.
Newton served on these committees in the 2011-2012 legislative session:
- Subcommittee on Constitutional Issues
- County and Municipal Government Committee, Alabama House of Representatives, Ranking Minority Member
- Subcommittee on Government Regulations (County and Municipal Government)
|Alabama House of Representatives, District 53 Democratic Primary (2010)|
|Demetrius Newton (D)||2,377|
|Anthony Johnson (D)||963|
Newton raised $71,620 for his campaign.
In 2010, Newton raised $100,992 in contributions. 
His four largest contributors were:
|Alabama Education Association||$15,392|
|Alabama Optometric Association||$10,000|
In 2006, Newton collected $71,620 in donations.
Below are Newton's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2006 election:
|AL Education Assoc||$10,000|
|AL Assoc of Realtors||$5,000|
|Seth Hammett Campaign||$5,000|
|AL State Employees Assoc||$3,500|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Demetrius + Newton + Alabama + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
Newton is divorced and has two children.
- Alabama Legislature - Demetrius Newton
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Jefferson County Democrats
- Campaign contributions: 2010, 2008, 2006, 2002, 1998
- Demetrius Newton on Facebook
|Alabama House District 53
| Succeeded by|
State of Alabama
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer| Auditor| Superintendent of Education| Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Labor| Public Service Commission|