Dennis Areias recall, Los Banos Unified School District, California (2013)
An effort to recall Dennis Areias from his position on the Board of Education of the Los Banos Unified School District in California was launched in April 2013. The effort to qualify the recall question for the ballot was, however, abandoned short of going to a vote.
In 2012 Areias was part of a group of school board members who voted 5-2 to reassign then-Los Banos High School Principal Dan Martin to an administrative position after Superintendent Steve Tietjen expressed a loss of confidence in Martin. Supporters of Martin were upset about the move and called for Areias recall.
Areias began serving to the Board of Education in 1997.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall in California
On April 2, 2013 a notice of intent to recall was filed with the Merced County Elections department. The recall petition was approved on April 16, and supporters were given until August 14 to collect 2,915 signatures from registered voters in Areias' district. Recall supporters failed to turn in signatures by the deadline.
- Los Banos Enterprise, "Recall effort aims to oust Areias from school board," April 12, 2013
- Merced Sun-Star, "Areias recall fails to get on ballot," August 28, 2013
- Merced Sun-Star, "School trustee focus of recall effort," April 29, 2013
- Los Banos Enterprise, "Areias recall fails to get on ballot," August 28, 2013