|U.S. House, California, District 18|
|2003 - August 15, 2012|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|First elected||November 5, 2002|
|California State Assembly|
|Merced City Council|
|Atwater City Council|
|Bachelor's||University of Maryland-College Park, 1982|
|Birthday||March 31, 1959|
|Place of birth||Merced, California|
- 1 Career
- 2 Committee assignments
- 3 Issues
- 4 Elections
- 5 Campaign donors
- 6 Analysis
- 7 Recent news
- 8 Personal
- 9 External links
- 10 References
Cardoza did not seek re-election in 2012.
Below is an abbreviated outline of Cardoza's academic, professional and political career:
- 1982: Graduated from University of Maryland, College Park with B.A.
- 1984-1987: Atwater, California, city council
- 1996-2002: California State Assembly
- 2003-Present: U.S Representative from California
Cardoza served on the following committees:
- Agriculture Committee
- Subcommittee on General Farm Commodities and Risk Management
- Subcommittee on Livestock, Dairy, and Poultry, Ranking Member
- Foreign Affairs Committee
- Subcommittee on Asia and the Pacific
Cardoza supported the "Cap and Trade" bill. Just after the bill’s passage, 42% of likely U.S. voters said that cap and trade would hurt the economy, while 19% believed it would help. 15% said that the bill would have no impact.
Finally, Cardoza also voted for the health care reform bill. 57% of likely voters at least somewhat favor repeal of the health care reform bill, including 46% who strongly favor repeal. 35% of likely voters oppose repeal. 51% of likely voters believe the health care reform bill will be bad for the country, while 36% believe it will be beneficial.
|U.S. House, California District 18 General Election, 2010|
|Democratic||Dennis Cardoza Incumbent||58.5%||72,853|
|Republican||Michael Clare Berryhill, Sr.||41.5%||51,716|
Cardoza won re-election to the U.S. House in 2010. During that election cycle, Cardoza's campaign committee raised a total of $1,180,308 and spent $1,420,230.
His top 5 contributors between 2009-2010 were:
|U.S. House, California District 18, 2010 - Dennis Cardoza Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$340,355|
|Total Spent by General Election Opponent||$339,662|
|Top contributors to Dennis Cardoza's campaign committee|
|National Assn of Realtors||$16,500|
|American Bankers Assn||$10,000|
|American Crystal Sugar||$10,000|
|American Federation of Teachers||$10,000|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Crop Production & Basic Processing||$115,620|
Congressional staff salaries
The website Legistorm compiles staff salary information for members of Congress. Cardoza paid his congressional staff a total of $1,126,159 in 2011. He ranks 156th on the list of the lowest paid Democratic Representative Staff Salaries and he ranks 44th overall of the highest paid Representative Staff Salaries in 2011. Overall, California ranks 5th in average salary for representative staff. The average U.S. House of Representatives congressional staff was paid $954,912.20 in fiscal year 2011.
Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by OpenSecrets.org - The Center for Responsive Politics, Cardoza's net worth as of 2010 was estimated between $519,024 and $1,410,000. That averages to $964,512, which is lower than the average net worth of Democratic Representatives in 2010 of $4,465,875.
National Journal vote ratings
- See also: National Journal vote ratings
Each year National Journal publishes an analysis of how liberally or conservatively each member of congress voted in the previous year. Cardoza's vote ratings are unavailable for 2012.
Each year National Journal publishes an analysis of how liberally or conservatively each member of congress voted in the previous year. Cardoza ranked 174th in the liberal rankings.
Percentage voting with party
Dennis Cardoza voted with the Democratic Party 72.0% of the time, which ranked 183 among the 192 House Democratic members as of 2011.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Dennis + Cardoza + California + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Cardoza and his wife, Kathleen McLoughlin, have three children.
- Social media:
- Political profiles:
- Financial (federal level):
- Interest group ratings:
- Issue positions:
- Public statements:
- Voting record:
- Media appearances:
- Media coverage:
- The Sacramento Bee, "Rep. Dennis Cardoza announces resignation," August 14, 2012
- Gov Track "Cardoza" Accessed May 15, 2012
- Biographical Director of the United States Congress "Dennis A. Cardoza," Accessed November 3, 2011
- Congressman Dennis Cardoza, Representing the 18th District of California "Committee on Rules"
- Gallup "Among Recent Bills, Financial Reform a Lone Plus for Congress," September 13, 2010
- US House Clerk "Roll Call 46," January 28, 2009
- Rasmussen "38% Say Stimulus Plan Helped Economy, 36% Say It Hurt," August 24, 2010
- US House Clerk "Roll Call 314," June 9, 2009
- Rasmussen "54% Oppose “Cash for Clunkers” Plan To Spur Purchase of Greener Cars," June 23, 2009
- US House Clerk "Roll Call 477," June 26, 2009
- Rasmussen "42% Say Climate Change Bill Will Hurt The Economy," June 30, 2009
- US House Clerk "Roll Call 165," March 21, 2010
- Rasmussen "61% Favor Repeal of Health Care Law," September 20, 2010
- Record Net "Cardoza getting out of politics," October 21, 2011
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"
- Open Secrets "Dennis Cardoza 2010 Election Cycle," Accessed November 3, 2011
- LegiStorm "Dennis Cardoza"
- OpenSecrets.org, "Cardoza, (D-California), 2010"
- National Journal, "2012 Congressional Vote Ratings," February 21, 2013
- National Journal, "Searchable Vote Ratings Tables: House," February 23, 2012
- OpenCongress, "Voting With Party," accessed July 2014
|U.S. House of Representatives - California, District 18
| Succeeded by|
|California State Assembly
| Succeeded by|
|Merced City Council
| Succeeded by|
|Atwater City Council
| Succeeded by|