Dennis Linthicum recall, Klamath County, Oregon (2013)
An effort to recall Dennis Linthicum from his position on the Board of Commissioners of Klamath County, Oregon was launched in May 2013. The effort to qualify the recall question for the ballot was, however, abandoned short of going to a vote.
The recall effort was initiated by Sharron L. Biggs and a committee calling itself "Voters for Fiscal Responsibility." Briggs said she and other citizens were concerned about with various decisions for the county the Commissioners were making.
The two other county commissioners, Jim Bellet and Tom Mallams, were targeted in a later recall effort. Those recall efforts, which began in June 2013, were held up due to laws requiring a six month waiting period from the time of an official's election before a recall can be initiated.
Two Klamath County commissioners had previously been recalled in 1996. They were commissioners David Henzel and Clif McMillan.
Reason for recall
On the petition, recall supporters wrote:
|“||"Commissioner Dennis Linthicum has failed to listen to the constituents of Klamath County on issues vital to our economy and to the benefit of our citizens. Examples are; lack of support for the county trapper, the Meals on Wheels for our senior citizens, funding for our Sheriff's Department, water issues for the Klamath Basin, etc.||”|
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall in Oregon
In order to qualify for the ballot, recall supporters had to have collected 3,474 signatures by August 7, 2013 (90 days after having filed the petition in May). However, no paperwork was submitted by the deadline.
- Recall campaigns in Oregon
- Political recall efforts, 2013
- County commission recalls
- Klamath County, Oregon
- Jim Bellet and Tom Mallams, Klamath County, Oregon (2013)
- KlamathOnline.com, "Petition to Recall Commissioner Dennis Linthicum Filed With Klamath County Clerk," May 10, 2013
- Herald and News, "County commissioner recall bid fizzles," August 8, 2013
- KOBI5.com "Recalls Target 3 Klamath County Commissioners," July 10, 2013
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Oregon
List of Oregon ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Administrator of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Fish and Wildlife | Commissioner of Labor and Industries | Commissioner of Public Utilities |