School Board badge.png
Election Day in New Jersey!
Nine school board seats are up for grabs in Edison, Newark and Passaic!





Department of Transportation, Illinois

From Ballotpedia
Revision as of 06:19, 2 August 2013 by Gpallay (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search
The Department of Transportation is an agency in Illinois.

The purpose of the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) is to ensure safe, efficient and cost-effective transportation for Illinoisans in order to "enhance quality of life, promote economic prosperity, and demonstrate respect for the environment."[1]

Budget

Budget information does not appear to be available on the IDOT website but can be found on the State of Illinois website.[2][3]

Agency Appropriations (Dollars in thousands)

Fund Category FY 2010 Actual FY 2011 Enacted FY 2012 Recommended  % Change FY11 -FY12
General Funds $78,041.6 $79,034.6 $11,471.6 -85.5%
Other State Funds $2,430,253.0 $2,469,788.5 $2,662,503.8 7.8%
Federal Funds $3,873.1 $3,969.2 $4,191.7 5.6%
Total $2,512,167.7 $2,552,792.3 $2,678,167.1 4.9%

IDOT's “Fiscal Year 2008-2013 Proposed Highway Improvement Program” reflects the priority placed on system maintenance and preservation, a $10.875-billion program ($3.21-billion local program and a $7.67-billion state program). $3.81 billion (50%) of the state program is dedicated to system maintenance and $1.8 billion (23%) is dedicated to bridge maintenance. Combined maintenance accounts for 73% of the entire state program.[1]

The Department also received $833,258,444 in American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) funds.[4][5]

Programs

IDOT runs the Adopt-A-Highway program. Since the program's inception in 1995, 3,400 miles of highway have been adopted by 1,700 volunteer groups. The State still spends $12.5 million per year on litter pick up.[6]

Current construction projects, as well as current project studies, are listed on the IDOT website.[7] The Illinois State Transportation Plan details federal planning requirements, public outreach efforts, planning concerns, and trends such as population growth, person travel, increased need for public transportation, and freight travel.[1]

Projects funded through ARRA are also listed. As of May 2011, 1,061 contracts have been awarded.[5]

The Interstate 80 from Grundy County Line to U.S. Route 45 is one of IDOT's recent improvement projects. It started April 1, 2011 and its anticipated completion date is Fall 2011. Project cost totals $57.3 million.[8]

Leadership

The IDOT secretary is Gary Hannig.[9] Information about the Executive Staff is not provided.

Transparency

Letting and bidding information is posted.[10] Project labor agreements are also posted.[11]

Public meeting information for IDOT projects is posted.[12]

Ways to report fraud are posted.[13]

Freedom of Information Act details are provided.[14]

Phone numbers but not email addresses are provided for the administrators.[9]

External links

References