Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Illinois House of Representatives District 10|
|March 24, 2011-Present|
|January 12, 2013|
|Years in position||3|
|Per diem||$132/per session day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 6, 2012|
|Appointed||March 24, 2011|
|Bachelor's||DePaul University, 2005|
|Associate's||Malcolm X Junior College, 2003|
Smith earned his associate's degree in Liberal Arts from Malcolm X Junior College in 2003. He went on to receive his bachelor's from DePaul University in 2005.
Smith's campaign website lists the following issues:
- Jobs and Economic Development
- Excerpt: "I am focusing on saving and creating jobs for our community and promoting economic development."
- Excerpt: "I understand the importance of a quality education for our children and for our adults. I want to be a strong supporter of improving our schools, keeping them open, and ensuring that schools and our kids have the right resources like computers and up-to-date books."
- Excerpt: "I will be a strong advocate for Seniors, ensuring that they receive the care and support they deserve and push legislation that protects their interests."
- Youth and Young Adults
- Excerpt: "The Youth are our future. I want to create a Youth agenda. An agenda that creates opportunities for our kids and young adults to have a brighter future."
- Public Safety
- Excerpt: "I want to work on strengthening the laws that protect us and work with other local officials like our aldermen to ensure our neighborhoods get a fair amount of policing and that the police are there to protect us."
On March 13, 2012, Smith was arrested by federal agents and charged with bribery after he allegedly accepted $7,000 in return for supporting a $50,000 state grant to a day care center. Smith did not realize his deal was being struck with an undercover informant. The bribery charge carries a maximum penalty of 10 years and a $250,000 fine. Smith has been released on a $4,500 personal bond.
Smith serves on the Human Services, Cities & Villages, State Government Administration, Appropriations-Public Safety, and Housing Committees.
Smith is running for re-election to the 10th District seat in the Illinois House of Representatives in 2012. He defeated Tom Swiss in the Democratic primary on March 20, 2012, and is unopposed in the general election on November 6, 2012.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Derrick + Smith + Illinois + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
Extension:RSS -- Error: Not a valid URL: http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&gl=us&q=Derrick+Smith+Illinois+Legislature&um=1&ie=UTF-8&output=rss%7Ctemplate=slpfeed%7Cmax=10%7Ctitle=Derrick Smith News Feed
|Illinois House of Representatives District 10
| Succeeded by|
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |