Donald Payne Jr.
|Donald Payne Jr.|
|U.S. House, New Jersey, District 10|
|January 3, 2013-present|
|January 3, 2015|
|Years in position||0|
|Predecessor||Donald M. Payne (D)|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|Newark Municipal Council|
|freeholder-at-large, Essex County|
|Bachelor's||Kean College (attended)|
|Birthday||December 17, 1958|
|Place of birth||Newark, New Jersey|
Payne serves on the following committees:
- Committee on Homeland Security
- Subcommittee on Emergency Preparedness, Response, and Communications - Ranking Minority Member
- Subcommittee on Oversight and Management Efficiency
- Committee on Small Business
Payne Jr. ran for the seat left empty by the death of his father, Donald Payne Sr. Payne Jr. has stated, "I feel I am the best person at this time to follow in the legacy of Donald Payne and continue to serve in the manner to which you’ve been accustomed to being served for the last 23 years."
Payne Jr. had a bit of a setback on the issue of legacy when he was the only Democratic candidate unable to name any of his father's accomplishments in Congress.
Payne ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing New Jersey's 10th District. He defeated Ronald C. Rice, Nia Gill, Dennis Flynn, Wayne Smith, and Cathy Wright in the June 5 Democratic primary and faced Republican Brian Kelemen in the November general election.
|U.S. House, New Jersey, District 10 General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Donald Payne Jr. Incumbent||87.6%||201,435|
|Source: New Jersey Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
Comprehensive donor information for Payne is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Payne raised a total of $553,327 during that time period. This information was last updated on April 23, 2013.
|Donald Payne Jr.'s Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||US House (New Jersey, District 10)||$553,327|
|Grand Total Raised||$553,327|
|U.S. House of Representatives, New Jersey's 10th Congressional District, 2012 - Donald Payne Jr. Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Election Runner-up||No reports on record for candidate|
|Total Spent by Election Runner-up||No reports on record for candidate|
|Top contributors to Donald Payne Jr.'s campaign committee|
|American Assn for Justice||$12,500|
|Merck & Co||$10,200|
|International Longshoremens Assn||$10,000|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Building Trade Unions||$25,500|
Lifetime voting record
According to the website GovTrack, Payne Jr. missed 4 of 146 roll call votes from November 2012 to April 2013. This amounts to 2.7%, which is worse than the median of 2.2% among current congressional representatives as of March 2013.
OpenSecrets.org does not have financial information for Payne in the year 2011.
He has also been endorsed by the Teamsters union and the New Jersey retail workers union.
A full list of endorsements from unions and state and local officials was available on Payne's campaign website.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Donald + Payne Jr.+ New Jersey + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Political profiles:
- Interest group ratings:
- Issue positions:
- Public statements:
- Voting record:
- ↑ Politico "2012 House Race Results"
- ↑ City of Newark "Municipal Council: Donald M. Payne Jr.," Accessed May 25, 2012
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 New Jersey Star-Ledger "In packed 10th District congressional election, Donald Payne Jr. is viewed as front-runner," May 24, 2012
- ↑ CQ.com, "House Committee Rosters for the 113th Congress"
- ↑ WYNC "Live! NJ Election Results," June 5, 2012
- ↑ New Jersey Secretary of State "2012 Primary Results"
- ↑ Open Secrets "Career Fundraising for Donald Payne Jr.," Accessed April 23, 2013
- ↑ Open Secrets "Donald Payne 2012 Election Cycle," Accessed February 26, 2013
- ↑ GovTrack, "Payne Jr.," Accessed April 10, 2013
- ↑ OpenSecrets.org "Representative Donald M. Payne, Jr 2011 - 2012," accessed February 18, 2013
- ↑ New Jersey Star-Ledger "Nancy Pelosi endorses Donald Payne Jr. to replace late father in N.J.'s 10th District," May 22, 2012
- ↑ New Jersey Star-Ledger "Retail workers union endorses Donald Payne Jr. in 10th District congressional race," May 15, 2012
Donald M. Payne (D)
|United States House of Representatives - New Jersey District 10
| Succeeded by|