For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|Georgia House of Representatives District 125|
|December 28, 2009 - Present|
|January 12, 2015|
|Years in position||6|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Augusta State University's Hull School of Business|
|Profession||Host, WAAW 94.7 FM|
On February 13, 2013, Smith introduced a bill in the Georgia House of Representatives that would make "the electronic imposing of the facial image of a person onto an obscene depiction" illegal and carry a $1,000 fine. The legislation is the result of an incident where one of Smith's critics, Andre Walker of Georgia Unfiltered, photoshopped his head onto the body of a male porn star. The legislation obviously faces a difficult challenge from the First Amendment as freedom of speech. Images like this may be considered "parodies," a type of free speech already protected by the First Amendment.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Smith served on the following committees:
- Banks and Banking Committee
- Children and Youth Committee
- Energy, Utilities and Telecommunications Committee
Smith won re-election in the 2012 election for Georgia House of Representatives in the 125th District in 2012. He ran unopposed in the July 31 Democratic primary and defeated David Hopper (R) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Georgia House of Representatives, District 125, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Earnest Smith Incumbent||65.5%||12,173|
|Georgia House of Representatives, District 122 (2010)|
|Earnest Smith (R)||9,657||100.0%|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
In 2010, Smith collected $750 in campaign contributions. The largest contributors to the campaign were as follows:
|Georgia House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Earnest Smith's campaign in 2010|
|Georgia Dental Association||$250|
|Georgia Trial Lawyers Association||$250|
|Independent Insurance Agents Of Georgia||$250|
|Total Raised in 2010||$750|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Earnest + Smith + Georgia + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- The Augusta Chronicle, "State representative to be sworn in," December 28, 2009
- LegiScan, "Georgia House Bill 39," February 5, 2013
- Ars Technica, "Georgia bill would ban photoshopping legislator’s head on porn star’s body," February 13, 2013
- Fox News, "Georgia pol wants to make lewd photoshopping a crime after being mocked in porn star pic," February 13, 2013
- Georgia Secretary of State Elections Division "Candidate List" Accessed July 31, 2012
- Georgia Elections Division "2012 Election Results" Accessed November 16, 2012
- Georgia Secretary of State - 2010 Election results
- Georgia House 2010 contributions
Susan Holmes (R)
|Georgia House of Representatives District 125
| Succeeded by|
|Georgia House of Representatives District 122
December 28, 2009-2013
| Succeeded by|
Ben Harbin (R)
State of Georgia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | State Superintendent of Schools | Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |