East Lansing School District Bond Measure (February 2012)
This measure was approved in Clinton county.
- YES 74
- NO 62 
This measure sought to issue a bond in the amount of $53 million in order to pay for remodeling, equipping, updating technology and improving playground sites and adding education technology throughout the district. The group Committee to Support East Lansing Public Schools had been formed to help promote this measure, noting that the schools are in need of repair so the bond money is crucial for the district. Another group, East Lansing Citizens School Forum had also been formed in the wake of this proposal but not to support it, rather they are looking into alternatives. While the group spokesman noted that they support education, they noted that they could not support this proposal. The main issue that the group was against was the closing of the Red Cedar school, which is a part of the bond proposal. Proponents noted that the bond measure would not increase the current tax rate in the district, just extend the current rate to pay for the new bond money.
Text of measure
The question on the ballot:
|Shall School District of the City of East Lansing, Ingham and Clinton Counties, Michigan, borrow the sum of not to exceed Fifty-Three Million Dollars ($53,000,000) and issue its general obligation unlimited tax bonds therefor, for the purpose of: erecting, furnishing, and equipping additions to Donley, Glencairn, Marble, Pinecrest, and Whitehills Elementary Schools and MacDonald Middle School; remodeling, furnishing and refurnishing, and equipping and re-equipping school facilities; acquiring and installing education technology and equipping and re-equipping school facilities, including the high school, for educational technology; and developing and improving playgrounds and sites?|
- The State News, "Residents to vote today on proposed E.L. elementary school bond," February 28, 2012
- Lansing State Journal, "Pass the East Lansing schools' bond request," February 22, 2012
- Clinton County Clerk, Current Election Results
- Michigan Department of the Treasury, School bond list
- The Lansing State Journal, "Group courts East Lansing 'yes' votes on school levy," January 5, 2012
- Ingham County Elections, February Proposals
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.