Elena M. Herrada
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Michigan House of Representatives Sixth District|
|Bachelor's||Wayne State University|
|Master's||Wayne State University|
Herrada earned her B.S. in criminal justice and chicano boricua studies in 1980 and her M.A. in industrial relations in 1992 from Wayne State University.
Professionally, Herrada co-founded the Centro Obrero de Detroit, an immigrant rights organization, and Fronteras Nortenas, an organization dedicated to chronicling the lives of Mexicans from Michigan. She has been involved as a community partner with El Museo del Norte, a museum project in Southwest Detroit.
Elena has also served on the Detroit Human Rights Commission and the boards of the ACLU of Michigan, the Michigan Coalition on Human Rights and the National Lawyers Guild.
Herrada has taught at Wayne County Community College, Marygrove College and has been involved in unions and served as a union president.
Additionally, Herrada was elected to the Detroit School Board in 2012. Her term expires in 2016.
Elections for the office of Michigan House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election was held on August 5, 2014, and a general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was April 22, 2014. Stephanie Chang defeated Tyrone Carter and five others in the Democratic primary. Tairia Bridges was unopposed in the Republican primary. Chang defeated Bridges in the general election.
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 6 General Election, 2014|
Herrada ran in the 2012 election for Michigan House of Representatives District Sixth District. He ran as a Green Party candidate and was defeated by Rashida Tlaib (D) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 6, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Rashida Tlaib Incumbent||92.2%||28,794|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Elena + Herrada + Michigan + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Official campaign website
- Information submitted through Ballotpedia's biographical submission form on July 20, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "Representative in State Legislature," accessed August 6, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "Representative in State Legislature," accessed December 5, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "2014 Official Michigan Primary Candidate Listing," accessed May 27, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "2014 Official Michigan General Candidate Listing," accessed September 8, 2014
State of Michigan
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture and Rural Development | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor and Economic Growth | Chairman of Public Service Commission |