Elgie R. Sims, Jr.
|Elgie R. Sims, Jr.|
|Illinois House of Representatives District 34|
|January 14, 2015|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Illinois State University|
|Master's||MPA, University of Illinois|
|J.D.||Loyola University Chicago School of Law|
Sims earned his B.S. from Illinois State University, his M.P.A. from the University of Illinois, and his J.D. from Loyola University Chicago School of Law. His professional experience includes working as an attorney for the Law Offices of Elgie R. Sims, Jr.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Sims served on the following committees:
|Illinois Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Appropriations-Human Services|
|• Business Growth & Incentives|
|• Business & Occupational Licenses|
|• Mass Transit, VIce-chair|
Sims' campaign website listed the following issues:
- Excerpt: "Attract business and long term jobs to the state"
- Excerpt: "Retain our best and brightest teachers"
- Public Safety
- Excerpt: "Ensure police presence in high risk areas"
Elections for the office of Illinois House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place March 18, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was December 2, 2013. Incumbent Elgie R. Sims, Jr. was set to face Richard A. Wooten in the Democratic primary, but Wooten withdrew from the race on December 27, 2013, leaving Sims unopposed. Mark Ekhoff defeated Fatimah "Timah" Macklin in the Republican primary. Sims and Ekhoff will face off in the general election.
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 34 Republican Primary, 2014|
|Fatimah "Timah" Macklin||21%||691|
Sims won election in the 2012 election for Illinois House of Representatives District 34. Sims defeated Richard A. Wooten, Paul Steven Gregoire, Kyle Kasperek and Sandra J. Wortham in the Democratic primary on March 20, 2012 and was unopposed in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 34, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Elgie R. Sims, Jr. Incumbent||100%||41,423|
Comprehensive donor information for Sims is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Sims raised a total of $225,535 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 19, 2013.
|Elgie R. Sims, Jr.'s Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Illinois State House, District 34||$225,535|
|Grand Total Raised||$225,535|
2012Sims won re-election to the Illinois House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Sims raised a total of $225,535.
|Illinois House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Elgie R. Sims, Jr.'s campaign in 2012|
|Illinois Health Care Association||$24,300|
|Chicago Federation Of Labor & Industrial Union Council||$17,000|
|Illinois Education Association||$14,000|
|Illinois Federation of Teachers||$11,938|
|Sims Jr, Elgie||$8,547|
|Total Raised in 2012||$225,535|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Sims and his wife, Shivonne, have two children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Elgie + Sims + Illinois + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Rep. Elgie R. Sims, Jr.
- Official campaign website
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Profile from Open States
- Elgie Sims on Facebook
- Elgie Sims on Twitter
- Examiner, "New Illinois lawmaker sworn into office," August 5, 2012
- Campaign contributions: 2012
- Project Vote Smart, "Rep. Elgie Sims," accessed February 24, 2014
- Campaign website, Home
- Illinois Secretary of State, "Official candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- Illinois Board of Elections, "General Primary Election Official Canvass," April 18, 2014
- Illinois Secretary of State, "Official general election candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- Illinois State Board of Elections "Candidate List," December 5, 2011
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Official 2012 Primary Results"
- Illinois State Board of Elections, “Official Vote - November 6, 2012 General Election,” accessed January 18, 2013
- followthemoney.org, "Sims Jr, Elgie R," accessed July 19, 2013
Constance A. Howard (D)
|Illinois House of Representatives District 34
| Succeeded by|
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |