|U.S. House, South Carolina, District 1|
|Bachelor's||College of Charleston|
|Profession||Sales and Marketing Professional|
Cobert-Busch comes from a large family and is the sister of The Colbert Report host, Stephen Colbert. She serves as the director of sales and marketing at Clemson University. Prior to this, she held a similar position at Orient Overseas Container Line.
- Bachelor's degree, College of Charleson
Colbert-Busch is running for the U.S. House representing the 1st Congressional District of South Carolina. The election is being held to replace Tim Scott, who was appointed to fill Jim DeMint's vacant seat in the U.S. Senate. Colbert-Busch is running in the Democratic primary against Martin Skelly and Ben Frazier on March 19, 2013. The general election takes place on May 7, 2013.
Former Governor Mark Sanford is seen as the front runner due to name recognition and the fact that he has $120,000 in an old campaign account. This coupled with his ability to fundraise quickly gives him a leg up on the field. This is also his former seat in the U.S. House of Representatives that he held for three terms, prior to being elected governor.
After Martin Skelly withdrew from the race, he threw his support behind Colbert-Busch, saying "she inspires both the party faithful and the political center that we need to generate consensus and end gridlock in Congress."
U.S. Representative James Clyburn endorsed her on February 19, 2013, citing "something unique about Elizabeth’s experiences…She has life experiences to take us to success in the general election."
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Elizabeth + Colbert-Busch + South Carolina + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Collected news and commentary at CBS Charlotte
- Collected news and commentary at Colbert News Hub
- Collected news and commentary at Examiner.com
- Tough times have taught comedian's sister to love life, Bryce Donovan, The Post and Courier, February 6, 2010
- Don’t count out Stephen Colbert’s sister, Aaron Blake, The Washington Post, February 15, 2013
- Colbert may give sister’s campaign a boost, Aaron Blake, The State, February 18, 2013
- Politico "No joke: Stephen Colbert’s sister plans House bid," January 18, 2013
- South Carolina Radio Network "List of 19 candidates running for District 1 seat," January 28, 2013
- West Ashley Patch "A Closer Look at Elizabeth Colbert-Busch," January 18, 2013
- Washington Post "Scott's departure for Senate will trigger third special House election in 2013," December 17, 2012
- South Carolina Republican Party Website "1st Congressional Special Election details set," accessed January 3, 2013
- Roll Call "Sanford Likely Front-Runner in S.C. Special Election," January 3, 2013
- Salon.com "Ted Turner’s son vying in SC congressional primary," January 23, 2013
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress "Davis, Medel Jackson, (1942-2007)," accessed January 28, 2013
- Roll Call "South Carolina: Skelly Exits Special Election; Colbert’s Sister Now Top Democratic Contender," February 11, 2013
- Congressman James Clyburn Endorses Elizabeth Colbert Busch, The Charleston Chronicle, February 19, 2013