|Virginia Senate District 24|
|1996 - Present|
|January 11, 2012|
|Years in position||19|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2007|
|Next general||November 8, 2011|
|Date of birth||08/02/1948|
|Place of birth||Staunton, VA|
Hanger attended Ft. Defiance High School. Hanger received a B.S. in Management and Economics and an M.B.A. at James Madison University. He is a member of the Church of the Brethren.
In addition to serving as senator Hanger works in commercial real estate. Previously, Hanger served as a member of the House of Delegates from 1983-92 and a Captain in the Army/National Guard from 1972-83.
- Agriculture, Conservation and Natural Resources
- Local Government
- Rehabilitation and Social Services
Hanger represents Virginia Senate District 24. Senate District 24 includes Albemarle County(part), Augusta County, Greene County, Highland County, Lexington, Rockbridge County(part), Rockingham County(part), Staunton, Waynesboro.
- See also: Virginia State Senate elections, 2011
Hanger raised $293,579 for his campaign while Cox raised $41,733 and Sime raised $44,887.
|Virginia State Senate, District 24 (2007)|
|Emmett Hanger (R)||23,896||65.36%|
|David Cox (D)||9,757||26.69%|
|Arin Sime (L)||2,857||7.81%|
Below are Hanger's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2007 election:
|Leadership for Virginia||$55,000|
|Virginia Wine Wholesalers Association||$11,500|
|Virginia Beer Wholesalers Association||$10,500|
Hanger's campaign website lists the following issues:
- Excerpt: "Agriculture in it’s broadest sense including crop and livestock farming, forestry and the seafood industry have long played a vital role in not only Virginia’s economy, but in defining Virginia traditions and Virginia quality of life."
- Excerpt: "I am a strong supporter of public education. Judge by my actions rather than my words."
- Excerpt: "On issues concerning the environment and conservation I take back seat to no one and consider myself to be a Teddy Roosevelt Republican."
- Gun Rights
- Excerpt: "As a rural legislator, I have long been a leading advocate for the protection of 2nd Amendment rights."
- Illegal Immigration
- Excerpt: "More importantly, the failure
to secure our borders jeopardizes our national security. With the federal government failing to do its duty to secure our borders, I believe Virginia must do more to crack down on illegal immigration and I am working hard to make that happen."
- Social Issues
- Excerpt: "Social issues, and in particular, matters of faith, are areas where I cannot compromise. I believe that the dignity of life should be protected and honored from conception until natural death."
- Tax Reform
- Excerpt: "As a conservative Republican, I am a strong advocate for fiscal responsibility, but recognize that the term fiscal responsibility may or may not mean lowering taxes and it may or may not mean reducing spending, but it always should mean providing necessary services in as efficient a manner as is possible and within the constraints of a balanced budget."
- Excerpt: "We need to continue laying plans to address transportation policy in a statewide comprehensive manner. There is no question, based on current policy; that we do not have adequate revenue coming into the Transportation Trust Fund to pay for existing needs. Our planning needs to focus on innovations in mass transit and possible alternatives to traditional construction and maintenance programs."
Hanger was born in Staunton, Virginia on August 2, 1948.
- Sen. Hanger's website
- Biography from the Virginia Legislature
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions:1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007
|Virginia Senate District 24
| Succeeded by|