Its goals as listed on its website include:
- Achieve equality and secure legal protections for LGBT people.
- Improve the lives of LGBT Californians.
Activities EQCA sponsors include:
- Sponsoring legislation and coordinating efforts to ensure its passage,
- Lobbying legislators and other policy makers,
- Building coalitions,
- Developing community strength,
- Empowering individuals and other organizations to engage in the political process.
EQCA executive director, who resigned shortly after the announcement, said of the decision:
- "The decision about going or not back to the ballot to overturn Proposition 8 was a gut-wrenching one. Ultimately, I believed that initiating a signature drive could ignite something powerful in our movement here in California. This needs to be balanced with the responsibility of raising close to $2 million by December 2011 for the signature gathering alone; and maybe over $40 million to win this campaign by November 2012. Not a small task. Given the pending federal lawsuit, the economy, critical support among the base and a number of other factors, not winning this campaign could be a very disempowering experience."
Geoff Kors was EQCA's executive director from the time of its founding up through his resignation in March 2011. Kors was replaced by Roland Palencia in July 2011. Three months after he took the position, Palencia announced that he will step down from the position effective October 14, 2011.
In a call with reporters in early October, Palencia indicated that there had been a difference of opinion on the board about whether to take on the project of an attempted repeal of Proposition 8 in 2012.