Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|U.S. House, New York, District 7|
Dilan is running in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing New York's 7th District. He is seeking the nomination on the Democratic ticket and will face 12th district incumbent Nydia Velazquez, Dan O'Connor, and George Martinez in the June 26 Democratic primary.
Due to Redistricting in New York, 12th district incumbent Nydia Velazquez is running in the 7th district, which includes most of her former territory, and adds some of the Lower East Side. Velazquez faces three primary challengers: Dan O'Connor, George Martinez, and Dilan.
Dilan, a city councilman, is seen by some as the greatest challenge to Velazquez. He was encouraged to run by Vito Lopez, chair of the Brooklyn Democratic Party and a member of the New York Assembly. Lopez wants to see Velazquez defeated, as he says she has rudely slighted him. In return, Velazquez has commented, "I advocate for cleaner politics, and he appoints cronies as judges."
Bringing up a common theme in New York politics, Dilan has said Velazquez has "the worst voting record on Israel in the New York congressional delegation." Velazquez, however, has been endorsed by what one Democratic source called "the three top Jewish Democrats in the state": U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer, U.S. Representative Jerrold Nadler, and New York Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver. Velazquez was also endorsed by President Barack Obama.
For his part, Dilan has responded to questions of his fundraising sources -- a significant portion come from the real estate industry, which both Dilan and Lopez influence on the city and state level -- by responding that Velazquez has received even more from banks.
Martinez is a member of the Occupy Wall Street movement, and frequently delivers his messages in rap form. He is involved with an initiative called "Bum Rush the Vote."
O'Connor is an economist by training and works in the renewable energy industry.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Erik + Dilan + New York + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- ↑ New York Board of Elections "Filings for June 26, 2012 Federal Primary," Accessed June 11, 2012
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Jewish Press "Schumer, Silver, Nadler to Endorse Velázquez, Rebuffing Anti-Zionist Charges," June 3, 2012
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Capital New York "Obama endorses Nydia Velazquez," June 15, 2012
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 New York Times "With Three Spirited Primaries, Competitive Democracy Is Breaking Out," June 18, 2012
- ↑ ["http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/2012/05/dilan-bashes-velazquez-on-israel-she-bashes-back New York Daily News "Dilan Bashes Velazquez On Israel; She Bashes Back," May 30, 2012]
- ↑ Capital New York "The congressional challenger from New York real estate," June 18, 2012
- ↑ Salon "An Occupier Eyes Congress," June 18, 2012
- ↑ Dan O'Connor campaign website "Biography," Accessed June 19, 2012
State of New York
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
New York Supreme Court | Trial Court | Supreme Court, Appellate Division | Civil Courts | County Courts | Surrogate Courts | Family Courts | Civil Courts | Court of Statewide Claims | Town Courts | Village Courts | City Civil Court | City Criminal Court | District Court Nassau & Suffolk | City Courts (Outside New York City) | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |