Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|U.S. House, New York, District 7|
Dilan ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing New York's 7th District. He sought the nomination on the Democratic ticket and faced 12th District incumbent Nydia Velazquez, Dan O'Connor, and George Martinez in the June 26 Democratic primary. Velazquez won the primary and advanced to the November 6th, 2012 general election.
Due to Redistricting in New York, 12th District incumbent Nydia Velazquez ran in the 7th District, which includes most of her former territory, and adds some of the Lower East Side. Velazquez faced three primary challengers: Dan O'Connor, George Martinez, and Dilan.
Dilan, a city councilman, was seen by some as the greatest challenge to Velazquez. He was encouraged to run by Vito Lopez, chair of the Brooklyn Democratic Party and a member of the New York Assembly. Lopez wanted to see Velazquez defeated, as he said she has rudely slighted him. In return, Velazquez commented, "I advocate for cleaner politics, and he appoints cronies as judges."
Bringing up a common theme in New York politics, Dilan said Velazquez had "the worst voting record on Israel in the New York congressional delegation." Velazquez, however, was endorsed by what one Democratic source called "the three top Jewish Democrats in the state": U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer, U.S. Representative Jerrold Nadler, and New York Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver. Velazquez was also endorsed by President Barack Obama.
Dilan responded to questions of his fundraising sources -- a significant portion came from the real estate industry, which both Dilan and Lopez influence on the city and state level -- by responding that Velazquez received even more from banks.
Martinez is a member of the Occupy Wall Street movement, and frequently delivers his messages in rap form. He is involved with an initiative called "Bum Rush the Vote."
O'Connor is an economist by training and works in the renewable energy industry.
|U.S. House, New York District 7 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Nydia Velazquez Incumbent||58%||16,011|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Erik + Dilan + New York + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- New York Board of Elections "Filings for June 26, 2012 Federal Primary," Accessed June 11, 2012
- AP "2012 primary results"
- Jewish Press "Schumer, Silver, Nadler to Endorse Velázquez, Rebuffing Anti-Zionist Charges," June 3, 2012
- Capital New York "Obama endorses Nydia Velazquez," June 15, 2012
- New York Times "With Three Spirited Primaries, Competitive Democracy Is Breaking Out," June 18, 2012
- ["http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/2012/05/dilan-bashes-velazquez-on-israel-she-bashes-back New York Daily News "Dilan Bashes Velazquez On Israel; She Bashes Back," May 30, 2012]
- Capital New York "The congressional challenger from New York real estate," June 18, 2012
- Salon "An Occupier Eyes Congress," June 18, 2012
- Dan O'Connor campaign website "Biography," Accessed June 19, 2012
State of New York
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
State of New York Court of Appeals | Supreme Court, Appellate Division | Supreme Courts (Trial Courts) | County Courts | Family Courts | Surrogates' Courts | Court of Claims | District Courts | New York City Civil Court | New York City Criminal Courts | New York City Courts | Problem Solving Courts | Town and Village Courts | Judicial selection in New York |