Fairfax County, Virginia
- 1 Website evaluation
- 2 Public employees
- 3 Budget
- 4 Taxes
- 5 Lobbying
- 6 Fairfax Police Department
- 7 External links
- 8 References
- Main article: Evaluation of Virginia county websites
This website was reviewed on December 1, 2011
- County supervisors are listed with contact information.
- Meeting agendas and schedules are posted.
- Budgets and audits are posted.
- Building permit information is posted, along with zoning information.
- Local tax rates are posted, and taxes may be paid online.
- Bid opportunities and a contract register are posted.
- A county directory is available.
- Information and contact information are provided on making public records requests.
- The county's lobbying agenda is posted.
- Administrative officials are not provided.
- Elected officials' party affiliations are not provided.
- The amount of money spent on Taxpayer-funded lobbying is not available.
Board of supervisors
|Sharon Bulova (Chairman)||At-Large|
|John C. Cook||Braddock|
|John W. Foust||Dranesville|
|Catherine M. Hudgins||Hunter Mill|
|Jeff C. McKay||Lee|
|Penelope A. Gross (Vice Chairman)||Mason|
|Gerald W. Hyland||Mount Vernon|
|Linda Q. Smith||Providence|
|Michael R. Frey||Sully|
Anthony H. Griffin was appointed Fairfax County's Executive by the board of supervisors in 2000.
Fairfax County has a $114.4 million budget deficit for fiscal year 2013, raising questions of funding for roads and schools. Specifically, County Executive Anthony Griffin hoped to increase school funding by 5 percent, but budget realities may not let him do so.
|Source||Revenues||% of Total|
|Real Estate Taxes||$2,035,455,407||61.6%|
|Permits, Fees, & Licenses||$30,152,648|
|Fines & Forfeitures||$16,868,801||0.5%|
|Personal Property Taxes||$518,132,388||15.7%|
|Use of Money & Property||$16,711,665||0.5%|
|Charges for Services||$64,161,281||1.9%|
|Commonwealth of Virginia||$90,612,431||2.7%|
|General Fund Revenues||$3,306,952,451||100%|
|Category||Expenditures||% of Total|
|Health and Welfare||$381,285,456||11.3%|
|Parks and Libraries||$47,735,700||1.4%|
|Total General Fund Expenditures||$3,377,479,384||100%|
|Retirement Program||Liability||Unfunded Liabilities||Unfunded Liabilities as a Percent of Covered Payroll|
|Employees' Retirement System||$3,535,874||$932,590||148.39%|
|Police Officers' Retirement System||$1,076,039||$196,496||197.19%|
|Uniformed Retirement System||$1,351,204||$276,974||188.31%|
|Other Post-Employment Benefits||$441,286||$391,053||51.37%|
|Educational Employees' Supplementary Retirement System||$2,314,282||$544,742||45,09%|
|Educational Other Post-Employment Benefits||$466,324||$448,804||37.94%|
Real estate tax
Fairfax's real estate tax is $1.07 per $100 of assessed value.
The county's car tax is $4.57 per $100 of assessed value.
The county's sales tax is 1%, on top of a statewide 4% sales tax.
Other county tax rates are posted on the county website.
- Main article: Virginia government sector lobbying
Fairfax Police Department
According to an investigation by Connections Newspaper reporter Michael Pope, the police departments of Fairfax County, Alexandria, and Arlington are among the most secretive and non-transparent in the country. According to the reports, the departments' interpretation of the Virginia Freedom of Information Act in effect allows them reject nearly all information requests.
- Fairfax County Website
- Fairfax County Real Estate Tax Information
- Fairfax County Economic Development Authority
- Fairfax County Public Schools
- Fairfax County Official Tourism Site
- Fairfax County on e-Reference
- Fairfax County on US Census
- U.S. Census Bureau "QuickFacts," Accessed December 1, 2011
- Fairfax County "Board of Supervisors," Accessed December 1, 2011
- Fairfax County "Board Meetings," Accessed December 1, 2011
- Fairfax County "Financial Transparency," Accessed December 1, 2011
- Fairfax County "Building Permits," Accessed December 1, 2011
- Fairfax County "Land Use," Accessed December 1, 2011
- Fairfax County "Department of Tax Administration," Accessed December 1, 2011
- Fairfax County "Doing Business with Us," Accessed December 1, 2011
- Fairfax County "Contact Us," Accessed December 1, 2011
- Fairfax County "Virginia Freedom of Information Act," Accessed December 1, 2011
- Fairfax County "Government Relations," Accessed December 1, 2011
- Fairfax County "County Executive," Accessed December 1, 2011
- Washington Post "Fairfax County executive: Budget gap could hurt school funding," Accessed December 1, 2011
- Fairfax County "2012 General Fund Receipts," Accessed December 1, 2011
- Fairfax County "2012 General Fund Disbursement," Accessed December 1, 2011
- Fairfax County "2010 CAFR," Accessed December 1, 2011
- Fairfax County Lobbying Report
- Client List
- "Trust Me: You Can Trust Us," Reason Magazine, August 30, 2010
- "Transparency Blackout: Police departments in Northern Virginia refuse to release public documents," Alexandria Gazette Packet, March 18, 2010
State of Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chairman of State Corporation Commission |