Filemon Vela (Texas U.S. representative)
|U.S. House, Texas, District 34|
|January 3, 2013|
|January 3, 2015|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|J.D.||University of Texas|
|Date of birth||February 13, 1963|
|Place of birth||Harlingen, Texas|
Vela was born in Harlingen, Texas. He graduated with a bachelor's degree from Georgetown University and his law degree from University of Texas. He worked as an attorney since his graduation. He once considered running for Congress in the 1980s but his clients kept his focus until he decided to run in 2011.
- 2013-present: U.S. House of Representatives from Texas
- 1988-2012: Practicing lawyer
Vela serves on the following committees:
- Committee on Agriculture
- Subcommittee on General Farm Commodities and Risk Management
- Subcommittee on Livestock, Rural Development, and Credit
- Committee on Homeland Security
- Subcommittee on Cybersecurity, Infrastructure Protection, and Security Technologies
Vela ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing Texas' 34th District. He and Denise Saenz Blanchard defeated Elmo Aycock, Ramiro Garza, Jr., Juan Angel Guerra, Salomon Torres, Anthony Troiani and Armando Villalobos in the May 29, 2012, Democratic primary. He then defeated Blanchard in the July 31 runoff election. He defeated Jessica Puente Bradshaw (D) and Steven Shanklin (L) in the general election on November 6.
|U.S. House, Texas District 34 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Jessica Puente Bradshaw||36.2%||52,448|
|Source: Texas Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. House, Texas District 34 Runoff Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Denise Saenz Blanchard||33.4%||7,824|
Comprehensive donor information for Vela is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Vela raised a total of $876,684 during that time period. This information was last updated on March 25, 2013.
|Filemon Vela (Texas U.S. representative)'s Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||US House (Texas, District 34)||$876,684|
|Grand Total Raised||$876,684|
|U.S. House of Representatives, Texas' 34th Congressional District, 2012 - Filemon Vela (Texas U.S. representative) Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Election Runner-up||$95,019|
|Total Spent by Election Runner-up||$50,895|
|Top contributors to Filemon Vela (Texas U.S. representative)'s campaign committee|
|American Assn for Justice||$10,000|
|Committee for Hispanic Causes-BOLD PAC||$10,000|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
Lifetime voting record
According to the website GovTrack, Vela missed 1 of 89 roll call votes from January 2013 to March 2013. This amounts to 1.1%, which is better than the median of 2.2% among current congressional representatives as of March 2013.
Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by OpenSecrets.org - The Center for Responsive Politics, Vela's net worth as of 2011 was estimated between $1,254,014 to $15,945,995. That averages to $8,600,004, which is higher than the average net worth of Democratic House members in 2011 of $5,107,874.
Voting with party
The website Open Congress tracks how often members of Congress vote with the majority of the chamber caucus. According to the website, Vela has voted with the Democratic Party 91.1% of the time. This ranked 168th among the 201 House Democrats as of June 2013.
He is married to his wife, Rose.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Filemon + Vela + Texas + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Social media:
- Congressional profile at CongressMerge.com
- Summary, biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Project Vote Smart
- Profile at Wikipedia
- Financial information at OpenSecrets.org
- Issue positions and quotes at On The Issues
- Politico "2012 Election Map, Texas"
- National Journal "Texas, 34th House District: Filemon Vela (D)," November 6, 2012
- CQ.com, "House Committee Rosters for the 113th Congress"
- Democratic candidate list
- Unofficial Democratic primary results
- Associated Press primary runoff results
- Texas Secretary of State, "Race Summary Report-2012 Democratic Party Primary Runoff," accessed August 30, 2012
- Open Secrets "Career Fundraising for Filemon Vela," Accessed March 25, 2013
- Open Secrets "Filemon Vela 2012 Election Cycle," Accessed March 5, 2013
- GovTrack, "Filemon Vela," Accessed April 2, 2013
- OpenSecrets.org "Filemon Vela (D-Texas), 2011," accessed February 22, 2013
- Open Congress "Voting With Party," Accessed June 4, 2013
Newly created district
|U.S. House of Representatives - Texas District 34
| Succeeded by|
State of Texas
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Secretary of State | Attorney General | Comptroller | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of General Land Office | Chairman of Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Utilities | Chairman of Railroad Commission |