For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Flint Community School Board recall, Michigan, 2010
A subsequent unsuccessful effort to recall David Davenport was launched in March 2010.
According to Davenport, since his July 2009 election to the board he experienced "embattled relationship with the board." Davenport said, "Every time I bring up something they’re against it because they don’t like me. This is not about me. It’s about the kids. My goal was to get it to the public first and let the public decide whether they like it or it’s a good idea."
In early February, the Flint School Board members targeted in the recall voted to censure Davenport in a resolution that accused Davenport of leaking confidential information to the media, criticizing board members and verbally assaulting district staff.
Carolyn Spight, a resident of Flint, filed recall language on February 18, 2010 against Davenport. Spight's recall petition asserted that Davenport should be recalled because:
- He allegedly disclosed details to the media of a closed meeting of the board
- He allegedly verbally assaulted and insulted staff at board meetings.
- He allegedly violated a board policy by soliciting private student information.
- He allegedly violated board policy by publicly criticizing individual board members.
- He allegedly made derogatory and defamatory remarks in public about public officials.
According to Spight, Davenport "causes trouble."
Davenport said he believes he is perceived in a negative light by some because he challenges the status quo and questions potential conflicts of interest in district hiring.
Path to the ballot
To recall any one of the board members, about 8,000 signatures were required on each recall petition. Sufficient signatures were not submitted, and no recall elections took place.
- Recall campaigns in Michigan
- Political recall efforts, 2010
- Genesee County, Michigan ballot measures
- Flint Journal,"Flint school board member David Davenport calls for "Success Center" to deal with discipline issues," January 2, 2010
- The Flint Journal, "Recall supporters to gather to collect signatures to oust school board member David Davenport", March 30, 2010
- ABC TV-Local, "Flint's Board of Education is in turmoil", February 8, 2010
- Michigan Live, "Flint resident files recall petition language against Flint school board member David Davenport", February 18, 2010
- Flint Journal, "Flint group gathers in effort to recall school board member David Davenport", April 1, 2010