Florida's 13th Congressional District elections, 2012
November 6, 2012
August 14, 2012
C.W. Bill Young
|Candidate Filing Deadline||Primary Election||General Election|
Primary: Florida is one of 21 states to use a strictly closed primary system.
- See also: Florida elections, 2012
Note: Election results were added on election night as races were called. Vote totals will be added when official election results are certified. For more information about Ballotpedia's election coverage plan, click here. If you find any errors in this list, please email: Geoff Pallay.
General election candidates
August 14, 2012, primary results
|U.S. House, Florida District 13 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||C.W. Bill Young||57.6%||189,605|
|Source: Florida Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
Blue vs. Red
Possible race ratings are:
Florida's 13th district is a solidly Republican district.
In June 2012, Sabato's Crystal Ball rated Florida's 13th district as a solidly Republican district.
Impact of redistricting
- See also: Redistricting in Florida
Prior to redistricting the 13th district encompassed all of Sarasota, DeSoto, and Hardee counties and most of Manatee County except for a small northern coastal portion that was located in the neighboring 11th congressional district. It also included a small section of Charlotte County.
FairVote's Monopoly Politics 2012 study
- See also: FairVote's Monopoly Politics 2012
In 2012, FairVote did a study on partisanship in the congressional districts, giving each a percentage ranking (D/R) based on the new 2012 maps and comparing that to the old 2010 maps. Florida's 13th District's partisanship was unaffected by redistricting.
- 2012: 48D / 52R
- 2010: 48D / 52R
Cook Political Report's PVI
In 2012, Cook Political Report released its updated figures on the Partisan Voter Index, which measures each congressional district's partisanship relative to the rest of the country. Florida's 13th congressional district has a PVI of R+1, which is the 226th most Republican district in the country. In 2008, this district was won by Barack Obama (D), 52-48 percent over John McCain (R). In 2004, George W. Bush (R) won the district 52-48 percent over John Kerry (D).
|U.S. House of Representatives, Florida's 13th Congressional District, General Election, 2010|
|Republican||Vern Buchanan Incumbent||68.8%||183,341|
|Democratic||James T. Golden||31.2%||83,123|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Florida, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2012
- United States Senate elections in Florida, 2012
- Jessica Ehrlich's Campaign website
- C.W. Bill Young's Campaign website
- Updated Florida Congressional Districts List
- Florida 2012 Redistricting Map
- ABC News "2012 General Election Results"
- Florida Department of State "Register to Vote," Accessed April 25, 2012
- Florida 2012 Redistricting Map "Map" Accessed July 5, 2012
- The Hill "Democrat Jessica Ehrlich to challenge Rep. Young" accessed February 29, 2012
- AP Results "U.S. House Results" accessed August 14, 2012
- Florida Department of Elections "Candidate List 2012" accessed May 6, 2012
- Center for Politics "2012 House Ratings," Updated June 27, 2012
- Moonshadow Mobile's CensusViewer "Florida's congressional districts 2001-2011 comparison"
- Labels & Lists "VoterMapping software voter counts"
- "2011 Redistricting and 2012 Elections in Florida," September 2012
- Cook Political Report "Partisan Voting Index Districts of the 113th Congress: 2004 & 2008" Accessed October 2012
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"