Florida's 14th Congressional District elections, 2012
November 6, 2012
August 14, 2012
|Candidate Filing Deadline||Primary Election||General Election|
Primary: Florida is one of 21 states to use a strictly closed primary system.
- See also: Florida elections, 2012
This was the first election which used new district maps based on 2010 Census data. Florida's 14th congressional district is located in the Gulf Coast region in southwestern Florida and includes Hillsborough county and a small portion of Pinellas county.
Note: Election results were added on election night as races were called. Vote totals will be added when official election results are certified. For more information about Ballotpedia's election coverage plan, click here. If you find any errors in this list, please email: Geoff Pallay.
General election candidates
August 14, 2012, primary results
- Note: Mark Sharpe suspended his bid for the 14th district in February 2012, citing the "Democratic-leaning nature of the new lines".
|U.S. House, Florida District 14 General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Kathy Castor Incumbent||70.2%||197,121|
|Republican||Evelio Otero Jr.||29.8%||83,480|
|Source: Florida Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
Blue vs. Red
Possible race ratings are:
Florida's 14th district is a solidly Democratic district.
In June 2012, Sabato's Crystal Ball rated Florida's 14th as a solidly Democratic district.
Impact of redistricting
- See also: Redistricting in Florida
In redistricting the 11th district became the new 14th congressional district.  On March 30, 2012, the National Journal released a list of the top ten most contorted congressional districts, as a result of redistricting.  The 14th district was included in the list.
Prior to redistricting the 14th district was located in the Gulf Coast region in southwestern Florida and included all of Lee County and portions of Charlotte and Collier counties. Fort Myers, Naples, Cape Coral and part of Port Charlotte were also located in the district.
- 1 percent from the 9th congressional district
- 5 percent from the 10th congressional district
- 86 percent from the 11th congressional district
- 8 percent from the 12th congressional district
FairVote's Monopoly Politics 2012 study
- See also: FairVote's Monopoly Politics 2012
In 2012, FairVote did a study on partisanship in the congressional districts, giving each a percentage ranking (D/R) based on the new 2012 maps and comparing that to the old 2010 maps. Florida's 14th District became more Republican because of redistricting.
- 2012: 62D / 38R
- 2010: 63D / 37R
Cook Political Report's PVI
In 2012, Cook Political Report released its updated figures on the Partisan Voter Index, which measures each congressional district's partisanship relative to the rest of the country. Florida's 14th congressional district has a PVI of D+11, which is the 94th most Democratic district in the country. In 2008, this district was won by Barack Obama (D), 66-34 percent over John McCain (R). In 2004, John Kerry (D) won the district 59-41 percent over George W. Bush (R).
- United States House of Representatives elections in Florida, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2012
- United States Senate elections in Florida, 2012
- Joe Davidow's Campaign Website
- Tammy Hall's Campaign Website
- James Roach's Campaign Website
- Gary Aubuchon's Campaign Website
- Timothy John Rossano for Congress Facebook Page
- Kathy Castor's Campaign Website
- Updated Florida Congressional Districts List
- Florida 2012 Redistricting Map
- ABC News "2012 General Election Results"
- Florida Department of State "Register to Vote," Accessed April 25, 2012
- Politico "Connie Mack to enter Fla. Senate race" Accessed December 3, 2011
- Florida 2012 Redistricting Map "Map" Accessed July 5, 2012
- National Journal "Modern Gerrymanders: 10 Most Contorted Congressional Districts—MAPS" Accessed March 31, 2012
- Roll Call "Race Ratings: Florida Offers Democrats Chances at Pickups" Accessed February 28, 2012
- Florida Secretary of State Elections Division "Candidate List" Accessed June 11, 2012
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Roll Call "County Commissioner Running Against Kathy Castor" Accessed December 2, 2011
- Center for Politics "2012 House Ratings," Updated June 27, 2012
- Moonshadow Mobile's CensusViewer "Florida's congressional districts 2001-2011 comparison"
- Labels & Lists "VoterMapping software voter counts"
- "2011 Redistricting and 2012 Elections in Florida," September 2012
- Cook Political Report "Partisan Voting Index Districts of the 113th Congress: 2004 & 2008" Accessed October 2012
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 4, 2008"