Florida's 18th Congressional District elections, 2014
November 4, 2014
August 26, 2014
Florida has a closed primary system, in which the selection of a party's candidates in a primary election is limited to registered members of that party.
Heading into the election the incumbent is Patrick Murphy (D), who was first elected in 2012.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.
- Patrick Murphy - Incumbent
- Ilya Katz
- Calvin Turnquest: Former Tequesta councilman
- Carl Domino: Former state representative
- Alan Schlesinger: 2006 Republican candidate in U.S. Senate race in Connecticut
- Beverly Joy Hires
- Nick Robert Wukoson
- Brian Lara
- Frank Lynch
Withdrew from race
Declined to run
Incumbent Patrick Murphy (D) is a member of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee's Frontline Program. The program is designed to help protect vulnerable Democratic incumbents heading into the 2014 election.
Republicans have a 2 percent edge in the district and Mitt Romney carried it with 52 percent in 2012. But despite the Republican trend, Murphy defeated longtime incumbent Allen West even though he was vastly outspent.
Murphy is already fundraising for 2014 and national Republicans are already listing him as one of their top targets. Unlike the incumbent he defeated, Murphy has started off the race by "running to the center, playing up his bipartisan credentials".
Despite his popularity with the national tea party movement, West has opted against running against Murphy in 2014. Many say this is due in part to the fact that Murphy would have had an easier time defeating his opponent in a rematch. In theory, other Republican nominees should have a better chance against the freshman Democrat in 2014.
According to reports from July 2013, incumbent Patrick Murphy raised more than $520,000 in the second quarter, bringing his cash on hand to more than $1 million for his re-election fight in 2014. He raised more than $1.07 million in 2013, making him one of the top House fundraisers.
|U.S. House, Florida District 18 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Allen West Incumbent||49.7%||164,353|
|Write-In||Marilyn Davis Holloman||0%||55|
|Source: Florida Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. House of Representatives, Florida's 18th Congressional District, 2010|
|Republican||Ileana Ros-Lehtinen Incumbent||68.9%||102,360|
|Democratic||Rolando A. Banciella||31.1%||46,235|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Florida, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Florida 2012 Redistricting Map "Map" accessed July 5, 2012
- Florida Election Division, "Candidate Listing for 2014 General Election," accessed January 28, 2013
- Palm Beach Post, "Calvin Turnquest enters GOP primary for Murphy congressional seat," accessed October 9, 2013
- Post on Politics "Former GOP state Rep. Carl Domino says he’s running for Murphy’s congressional seat" accessed July 10, 2013
- Palm Beach Post "Juno Beach Vice Mayor Ellen Andel to enter race for Murphy’s congressional seat" accessed May 8, 2013
- TC Palm, "Possible Congressional District 18 candidates," accessed January 13, 2014
- Florida Secretary of State, "Candidate List," accessed February 15, 2014
- Send Lara to Congress, "Home," accessed February 15, 2014
- Frank Lynch for Congress, "Home," accessed April 5, 2014
- Florida Elections Division, "Candidate List," accessed April 5, 2014
- Post on Politics, "GOP congressional hopeful Ellen Andel, endorsed by Allen West, drops out of race for Murphy seat," accessed February 26, 2014
- TC Palm "Juno Beach official announces run for Rep. Murphy's congressional seat" accessed May 8, 2013
- Palm Beach Post, "It’s official: Adam Hasner won’t challenge Patrick Murphy for Congress," accessed January 28, 2014
- Post on Politics, "State Rep. Gayle Harrell decides against bid for Murphy congressional seat," accessed August 29, 2013
- Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, "DCCC Chairman Steve Israel Announces 2013-2014 Frontline Members," March 5, 2013
- Sunshine State News "Florida Congressional Races 2014 Early Look Where Fur will Fly" accessed March 8, 2013
- The Hill "Murphy raises $520k in second quarter" Accessed July 9, 2013
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"