Florida County Commissioner Term Limits Amendment (2012)
|Preamble • I • II • III • IV • V • VI • VII • VIII • IX • X • XI • XII|
The amendment would specify that voters in a charter county do have the power to set term limits for constitutional officers and county commissioners.
"It would clarify that voters have the power through their county charter to set term limits for constitutional officers and county commissioners. I personally feel reading the constitution that common sense says voters have that right, but the courts have said otherwise, so we will just leave it up to the voters to decided," said Wood.
The proposal was filed following several judicial rulings in the state of Florida that questioned whether the state constitution allowed voters in charter counties to set term limits on county officials.
On December 12, 2011 it was announced that the Florida Supreme Court agreed to hear a case (William Telli vs. Broward County) relating to term limits in charter counties. If the court rules that voter-imposed term limits are constitutional, it would make the proposed measure "unnecessary," according to reports. It is expected that the court will rule on the case prior to the Florida Legislature taking final action on the proposed measure.
Path to the ballot
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 The Ledger,"Rep. Wood Wants Voters To Decide Term Limits For County Commissioners," December 2, 2011
- ↑ Bradenton Times "House Committee Approves Amendment for Term Limits on County Officials," January 21, 2012
- ↑ Florida House of Representatives webpage on the bill's status
- ↑ The Ledger,"Supreme Court takes term limit case," December 12, 2011
- ↑ Patch.com,"High Court Gets Term-Limit Case," December 12, 2011
- ↑ News Chief "House OKs term limits of county officials," February 24, 2012
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |
Sunshine Law | Transparency Checklist | Government corruption reports | Transparency Legislation | Open Records procedures | Transparency Advocates | State budget | Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
List of School Districts |