Florida County Commissioners, Amendment 5 (1940)
- This amendment sought to modify Article VIII of the Florida Constitution to allow for the creation of County Commissioner’s districts in each county.
Text of measure
The language that appeared on the ballot:
ARTICLE VIII, SECTION 5
To amend Section 5, Article 8, Florida Constitution, to authorize the Legislature to create County Commissioner’s districts in each county, that there be one Commissioner elected by the qualified electors of the county for each district, to provide a four year term of office, and the staggering of such terms of office.
Section 5. That there shall be in each of the County Commissioner's districts, as shall exist by law from time to time in each county a Commissioner who shall be elected by the qualified electors of said county, at the time and place of voting for other county officers, and shall hold his office for four years, provided, however, that the County Commissioners elected in the general election in 1940, from the even-numbered districts shall serve for two years, and those from the odd-numbered districts shall serve for four years, and thereafter the terms shall be four years. The powers, duties and compensation of such County Commissioners shall be prescribed by law.
Path to the ballot
- The amendment was placed on the ballot as House Joint Resolution 214 of 1939.
- The amendment was filed in Office Secretary of State on June 12, 1939.
- Florida Amendments of the Election of 11-5-40
- Sample Ballot (in The Evening Independent, November 4, 1940)
- Florida Constitution Revision Commission, "Amendments, Election of 11-5-40"
- The Evening Independent, "Sample Ballot for Election Nov. 5", November 4, 1940
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |