Florida down ballot state executive elections, 2014
August 26, 2014
November 4, 2014
Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Attorney General
Treasurer, Agriculture Commissioner
|Office||Incumbent||Assumed Office||Incumbent running?||General Election Candidates||2014 Winner||Partisan Switch?|
|Chief Financial Officer||Jeffrey Atwater
||2011||Yes|| Jeffrey Atwater
|Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services||Adam Putnam
||2011||Yes|| Adam Putnam
Chief Financial Officer
The chief financial officer oversees the Florida Department of Financial Services. The department provides accounting and auditing services to state agencies, acts as the state's bank by disbursing and receiving funds into the treasury, and performs other financial duties. In addition, the department performs non-financial regulatory duties, including insurance licensing and fraud investigation, funeral parlor and cemetery licensing and public assistance fraud investigation. Notably, the chief financial officer also acts as state fire marshal, which certifies firefighters, sets training standards and investigations potential arson.
Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services
The commissioner heads the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, an agglomeration of 13 divisions and 5 offices involved in the regulation and promotion of Florida's agriculture and consumer services industries. FDACS agencies establish rules for the state's animal, aquaculture, forestry, and produce industries, license producers, provide marketing support for the state's agribusinesses, and oversee emergency preparedness and law enforcement efforts covering the agriculture industry.
In addition to its agricultural duties, the department regulates various consumer services businesses, including motor vehicle repair shops, charitable organizations, dance studios, pawnshops, telemarketers, and several others.
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013 through January 3, 2014 researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- Sunshine State News, Jeff Atwater Can Use 2014 as a Springboard for Higher Office, July 30, 2013
- Adam Putman for Commissioner 2014 Official campaign website, "Homepage," accessed September 30, 2013
- Florida Division of Elections, "Candidate Tracking System - 2014 General Election," accessed May 12, 2014
- Florida Division of Elections, "Candidate Tracking System - 2014 General Election," accessed October 10, 2013
- Florida Division of Elections, "Candidate Tracking System, 2014 General Election," accessed May 12, 2014
- Thaddeus "Thad" Hamilton, "Campaign Facebook Page," accessed September 30, 2013
- Florida Division of Elections, "Candidate Listing for 2014 General Election," June 20, 2014
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |