Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Former candidate for|
|Pueblo City Board of Education, At-large|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
Montgomery worked as a bus driver before her retirement.
- See also: Pueblo City Schools elections (2013)
|Pueblo City Schools, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Phyllis Sanchez Incumbent||30.8%||13,559|
|Source: Pueblo County, Colorado "2013 Coordinated Election," November 20, 2013|
Montgomery did not receive any endorsements in the 2013 campaign.
Montgomery explained her priorities for the 2013 campaign in an interview with The Pueblo Chieftain,
“We have to make students first...Everybody from the janitors and teachers, principals, food service workers and bus drivers have to make children feel important. If the students don’t feel important, then they aren’t going to do well in school."
What was at stake?
Incumbent Phyllis Sanchez sought re-election to the board. Fellow member Stephanie Garcia was ineligible to run for another term because of Amendment 17 to the Colorado Constitution, which says that no "elected official of any...school district....shall serve more than two consecutive terms in office." Sanchez was challenged by Patty Milner, Frances Montgomery and Anita Stapleton for two available seats.
About the district
- See also: Pueblo City Schools, Colorado
Pueblo lagged behind state rates for median income, poverty and higher education achievement in 2010. The average household income in Pueblo was $34,750 compared to $57,685 for the state of Colorado. The poverty rate in Pueblo was 22% compared to 12.5% for the entire state. The U.S. Census also found that 19% of Pueblo residents aged 25 years and older earned a bachelor's degree compared to 36.3% in Colorado.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Frances + Montgomery + Pueblo + City + Schools"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- The Pueblo Chieftain, "Retired bus driver seeks D60 school board seat," September 12, 2013
- Colorado TRACER, "Candidate and Candidate Committee Detail," Accessed December 19, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Pueblo, Accessed October 30, 2013
- Colorado Secretary of State, “Voter Registration Numbers,” Accessed October 29, 2013