Fred Mills, Jr.
|Fred Mills, Jr.|
|Louisiana State Senate, District 22|
|January 11, 2016|
|Years in position||3|
|Per diem||$6,000/year for expenses; $149/day per diem|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 19, 2011|
|First elected||January 22, 2011|
|Next general||November 3, 2015|
|Louisiana House of Representatives|
He previously served in the Louisiana House of Representatives, representing the 46th District from 2009 until Janurary 2011. Formerly a Democrat, Mills officially became a Republican in December 2010.  He ran for and won the Janurary 22, 2011 special election for the Louisiana State Senate, District 22.
Mills' professional experience includes working as the President/Chief Executive Officer of Farmers-Merchants Banks and Owner/Pharmacist of Mills Cashway Pharmacy.
In the 2012-2013 legislative session, Mills served on the following committees:
- Health & Welfare, Vice Chairman
- Judiciary C
- Local & Municipal Affairs
- Joint Legislative Budget
In the 2010-2011 legislative session, Mills served on the following committees:
Mills served on the following committees while a member of the Louisiana House of Representatives:
Mill's 2011 campaign site discussed his campaign themes:
- "In his announcement Mills stated that he would consider an opportunity to serve the people of District 22 an honor since the entire area has so much potential given that the two Parishes, Iberia and St. Martin, have strength in their commonality, both geographically and economically, strong family values, and a strong commitment to faith. Mills added 'this district is fortunate to have two (2) major federal highways, Interstate 10 and Highway 90, the world class Port of Iberia, three (3) major sugar mills, oil and gas resources, the vast Atchafalaya Basin and abundant coastal resources that provide some of the best hunting, fishing, and seafood in the nation, a robust tourism industry, and the historic Bayou Teche that traverses much of the District. We need a Senator that will provide the leadership to take advantage of these resources by helping to create jobs for our families and I want to be that person.'"
2011 General election
- See also: Louisiana State Senate elections, 2011
Mills ran for re-election in 2011. He was unopposed in the October 22 primary. Because Louisiana uses a blanket primary system, a candidate can be declared the overall winner of the seat by garnering 50 percent +1 of the vote in the primary. However, if no candidate reaches this threshold, then a general election would have taken place on November 19, 2011 between the top-two vote getters.
2011 Special election
Mills defeated 5 other candidates in the District 22 special election for the Louisiana State Senate. The special election primary took place on January 22. All candidates, regardless of affiliation, appeared on the ballot. Since Mills received more than 50% of the votes, the election will not proceed to a run-off.
|Louisiana State Senate District 22 (2011)|
|Fred Mills, Jr. (R)||12,812|
|Simone B. Champagne (R)||4,040|
|David Groner (I)||2,534|
|Armond Schwing (R)||1,644|
|Ruben LeBlanc (I)||208|
|Ken Squires (R)||172|
In 2011, Mills received $441,043 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Louisiana State Senate 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Fred Mills, Jr.'s campaign in 2011|
|Louisiana Hospital Association||$6,000|
|Louisiana Medical PAC||$5,000|
|Louisiana Association Of Business & Industry||$5,000|
|Acadian Ambulance Service||$4,500|
|Total Raised in 2011||$441,043|
Mills is a member of the Acadiana Delegation, Democratic Caucus, and the Louisiana Rural Caucus.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Fred + Mills + Louisiana + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Take steps to protect La.'s Chicot Aquifer - Shreveport Times
- Revisiting Common Core - The Daily Iberian
- DAYBREAK DAILY: Brown, Mizeur make nice over pot - WJLA
- Soledad O'Brien Teams Up With Google - Huffington Post
- DAYBREAK DAILY: Va. House OKs East Sea/Sea of Japan bill - WJLA
- Weather coincides with state spending plan presentation - The Advocate
- /LaLaLand/aswell-s-keeping-an-eye-on-alec-2693/ - The INDsider
- Legislative campaigns gear up with funds coming in, going out - So Md News
- Campaign Site
- Sen. Mills' website
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2009, 2007
- nola.com, State Rep. Fred Mills switches to Republican Party, December 13, 2010
- Louisiana Secretary of State "Unofficial Election Results," October 22, 2011
- The Advertiser, "Mills Wins State Senate Seat In Special Election, Avoids Runoff" Janurary 22, 2011
- Louisiana Secretary of State, "Candidate Information"
- Follow the Money - 2011 contributions
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Mills
Troy Hebert (I)
|Louisiana State Senate District 22
| Succeeded by|
|Louisiana Louisiana House of Representatives District 46
| Succeeded by|
Mike "Pete" Huval