Difference between revisions of "Fred Smith (Illinois)"
|Line 80:||Line 80:|
Smith lives in Evergreen Park with his wife Pamela
Smith lives in Evergreen Park with his wife Pamela and their three children. Fred has an older son who lives and attends college in [[Ohio]].<ref>[http://www.fredsmithforcongress.com/about.shtml ''Fred Smith for Congress'' "About Fred Smith" Accessed December 27, 2011] </ref>
Revision as of 13:12, 26 December 2013
|U.S. House, Illinois, District 1st|
|High school||Du Sable High School|
|Bachelor's||Northeastern Illinois University|
|Master's||Saint Xavier University|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
Smith graduated from Du Sable High School and joined the United States Army.  He earned a B.A. in communications from Northeastern Illinois University and Master degrees in Business Administration (MBA) and in Public Health (MPH) from Saint Xavier University. 
Smith is currently a program director at a youth care agency.
On his campaign website Smith had seven leading issues that he was concerned about. They are: 
- Education:Excerpt: "The first step is to work with parents and educators to find ways to lower the drop-out rate...I will also fight to increase funding for vocational training and college education that all students who want to attend college or vocational training will be able to do so.When it comes to student loans, my quest will be to increase the time span in which students will have to begin their payback process. Students have up to six months after graduation before they are required to start paying back their student loans, my goal would be to increase that grace period by six months."
- Veterans: Excerpt: "I will fight for stronger veteran benefits including a program that assists in the transition from military service life to civilian life when a tour of duty has ended. I would also work to establish housing that would accommodate disabled veterans, to include the fight for extended mental and physical health benefits.We must adequately fund VA hospitals in order to provide the services that all our veterans’ need, from the most recent veterans to the longtime veterans."
- Health Care: Excerpt: "We need to find ways to make sure that all Americans have accessibility to healthcare. The Americans who are uninsured or underinsured are most likely using the emergency room as their primary doctors. People with an illness that started out as something treatable, if caught early, could have been easily prevented; instead, they culminate to a hospital’s emergency room, which now is the highest cost of healthcare. Early diagnosis and preventive care is crucial in reducing the cost of healthcare."
- Economy: Excerpt: "My plan will be to provide significant tax relief for the middle class families and small businesses...Additionally, I believe in providing tax credits to companies that create jobs... This includes investing in renewable energy to create well-paying green jobs, clean energy jobs, and working to make our region a center for technology and innovation."
- Transparency and Accountability: "As Congressman, I will post legislation that comes up for votes on the website and ask for your opinions on the legislation. After casting my vote, based upon the opinions of the people of whom I was elected to represent, I will post it on the website for public viewing. I will also post my schedule online and make myself available to all of the residents in the First Congressional District."
- Stop the Violence
Smith ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing Illinois' 1st District. Smith sought the nomination on the Democratic ticket. The signature filing deadline was December 27, 2011, with the primary taking place on March 20, 2012. Incumbent Bobby Rush ran for re-election on the Democratic ticket.
- Illinois' 1st Congressional District
- Illinois' 1st Congressional District elections, 2012
- United States House of Representatives
- Fred Smith's Campaign Website
- Fred Smith's YouTube Account
- Fred Smith's Twitter Account
- Fred Smith's Online Candidates Page
- Fred Smith's LinkedIn Page
- Fred Smith for Congress Facebook Page
- Chicago Tribune "Contested races for the U.S. House" Accessed March 12, 2012
- ABC News 7 "Election Results Primary 2012" Accessed March 20, 2012
- Fred Smith for Congress "About Fred Smith" Accessed January 13, 2012
- Fred Smith for Congress "Issues" Accessed January 4, 2012
- Illinois State Board of Elections "Candidate List" Accessed December 27, 2011
- Chicago Tribune "Illinois congressional candidates seek spots on ballot" Accessed December 27, 2011
- Fred Smith for Congress "About Fred Smith" Accessed December 27, 2011
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |