|Montana State Senate, District 45|
|January 7, 2013 - present|
|January 2, 2017|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|Montana State Senate|
|1997 - 2004|
|Montana House of Representatives|
|1985 - 1992|
|Bachelor's||Montana State University, 1981|
|Place of birth||Stevensville, MT|
Thomas is a former member of both the Montana State Senate and the Montana House of Representatives, serving for eight years in each, and as Senate majority leader for four years.
Thomas' professional experience includes working as a certified insurance counselor; he served one term as the president of the National Association of Professional Insurance Agents. He is currently the branch manager of Western States Insurance Agency's locations in Hamilton and Stevensville.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Thomas served on the following committees:
|Montana Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Fish and Game|
|• Public Health, Welfare and Safety|
|• Taxation, Vice Chair|
Thomas' website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Creating Real Jobs
- "Fred understands that Montanans want jobs created by their communities, not their congressman."
- "Fred will work to create the business climate we need to attract and keep long-lasting jobs in Montana."
Developing Montana’s Natural Resources
- "Fred believes Montanans have a right to benefit from our state’s natural resources. Developing our resources will boost our economy, create jobs, and help fund our state budget."
- "Fred believes we should harvest Montana’s wind, timber, coal, oil, and natural gas. In developing our natural resources, we can protect and profit."
- "Fred knows the best way to put Montanans back to work is to get the government out of the way."
- "Fred will bring fiscal sanity back to Helena by cutting spending and getting our fiscal house in order."
- See also: Montana State Senate elections, 2012
Thomas won election in the 2012 election for Montana State Senate, District 45. Thomas defeated Gary MacLaren in the June 5 primary election and defeated Dan Metully (D) and Rob McCoy (L) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Montana State Senate, District 45, General Election, 2012|
|Montana State Senate, District 45 Republican Primary, 2012|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
Thomas and his wife, Suzie, have three sons.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Fred + Thomas + Montana + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2012
- Ravalli Republic, "Thomas announces candidacy for vacant state Senate seat," November 24, 2011. Retrieved October 10, 2012.
- Missoulian, "Senate District 45: Fred Thomas, Republican," May 9, 2012. Retrieved October 10, 2012.
- Western States Insurance Agency, "Fred Thomas, CIC," retrieved October 10, 2012.
- fredformontana.com - Issues
- Montana Secretary of State - 2012 Candidate Filing List
- Montana Secretary of State, Official 2012 Primary Results
Jim Shockley (R)
|Montana State Senate District 45
| Succeeded by|