Fredericksburg Public Schools, Virginia
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Virginia school district websites
- The Fredericksburg City Public Schools approved 2010-2011 operating budget, including federal, state, and local revenue information, is available. Approved 2010-2011 salary scales are also available.
- School board meeting schedule, minutes, and agendas are available.
- Administrative and school board contact information is available.
- Academic performance information is available via a link to the Virginia Department of Education website.
- The Fredericksburg City Policy Manual includes a Request for Public Records form in Section K: School – Community Relations. Section D: Fiscal Management includes information on audit requirements and Section G: Personnel includes hiring and evaluation procedures.
- Vendor contract information is available on the Virginia state website.
- The website does not include the results of background checks.
- The website does not include the results of audits.
- Teacher contracts are not available on the school website. Teacher salary data is available on the Virginia Department of Education website.
Current School Board Members
|Barbara Miller-Richards||Ward 2|
|Malvina Rollins Kay||Ward 4|
|Pat Green||Ward 1|
|Janice Walsh||Ward 3|
|Reverend Jarvis Bailey||At-Large|
The current division superintendent is Dr. David Melton.
The Virginia Public School System is supervised by a Board of Education, comprised of nine members appointed by the Governor and approved by the Virginia General Assembly. Members serve staggered four-year terms.
The Board of Education is responsible for dividing the Commonwealth of Virginia into school divisions and reviewing existing divisions to ensure standards of quality are being met. The Board makes annual reports to the General Assembly regarding public education in the Commonwealth and is further charged with certifying to the school board of each division a list of persons for the office of division superintendent of schools, one of whom the school board ultimately selects to fill the position. The Board also approves all educational materials used in the public schools. Supervision of school divisions is conducted by individual school boards.
Current Board of Education Members
|Eleanor B. Saslaw, President||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|Dr. Ella P. Ward, Vice President||2nd||January 29, 2011|
|Elizabeth D. Beamer||1st||January 29, 2014|
|Dr. Billy K. Cannaday, Jr.||1st||June 30, 2011|
|Isis M. Castro||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|David M. Foster||1st||January 29, 2014|
|David L. Johnson||2nd||June 30, 2011|
|K. Rob Krupicka||1st||January 29, 2013|
|Dr. Virginia L. McLaughlin||1st||January 29, 2013|
The Fredericksburg City Public Schools proposed 2010-2011 operating budget totals $31,766,703, which includes $24,028,000 in City Appropriation funds and $2,440,287 in funds from the state sales tax.
The Commonwealth of Virginia assesses schools based on Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and other statewide assessments; schools receive two accountability ratings a year based on student performance on these assessments. SOL tests assess student performance in English, math, science and history. Ratings are also given based on school and school division adherence to the goals of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which requires 100 percent proficiency in reading and mathematics by 2014.
School's state accreditation is based on performance in English, history, mathematics and science.
Schools and school divisions, as well as the State, are rated as achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if they meet or exceed annual benchmarks in reading and mathematics.
The Virginia Department of Education School Division Report Card reports Fredericksburg City Public Schools as having a student population of 2,995 and 5 schools in the division.
Fredericksburg City Public School Division did not make AYP for the 2009-2010 school year.
|School||Grade||Enrollment|| Made Adequate Yearly
Progress for 2009?
|Hugh Mercer Elementary||K - 2||734||Yes|
|James Monroe High||9 - 12||867||Yes|
|Lafayette Upper Elementary||3 - 5||634||Yes|
|Walker-Grant Middle||6 - 8||591||No|
- Fredericksburg City Public Schools Official Website
- Virginia Department of Education Official Website
- Official Website of the Commonwealth of Virgina
- Virginia Education Association Official Website
- ‘Fredericksburg City Public Schools’, Finance, June 27, 2010
- ‘Fredericksburg City Public Schools’, School Board, June 27, 2010
- ‘Fredericksburg City Public Schools’, School Board Meeting Agendas and Board Actions 2009-2010, June 27, 2010
- ‘Fredericksburg City Public Schools’, Staff Directory, June 27, 2010
- ‘Fredericksburg City Public Schools’, Contact School Board Members, June 27, 2010
- ‘Fredericksburg City Public Schools’, General Information, June 27, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Virginia State Contracts, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Education Workforce Data & Reports, June 10, 2010
- 'Legislative Information System', Constitution of Virginia, June 10, 2010
- 'State Board of Education', Board Members, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', School Report Card Accountability Guide, June 14, 2010
- ‘Virginia Department of Education’, Fredericksburg City Public Schools, June 27, 2010
- 'Virginia Education Association', June 10, 2010
- 'National Education Association', June 10, 2010