Difference between revisions of "Garrett Mason"
|Line 167:||Line 167:|
Revision as of 14:45, 12 September 2013
|Maine State Senate District 17|
|December 1, 2010-Present|
|December 3, 2014|
|Years in position||5|
|Base salary||$13,852/year (first regular session) |
$9,661/year/year (second regular session)
|Per diem||$38/day, plus $32/day for meals|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Term limits||Four consecutive terms|
|Bachelor's||Pensacola Christian College, 2006|
|Master's||Southern New Hampshire University|
|Date of birth||June 19, 1985|
|Place of birth||Lewiston, ME|
Mason was previously employed by the Portland Sea Dogs, the AA affiliate of the Boston Red Sox. After his time with the Sea Dogs, Garrett joined the Lewiston MAINEiacs, a Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. Garrett served as the team's Public Relations director for 2 years, and was then promoted to Director of Administration. In his new role, Garrett oversaw all day to day business operations of the club.
Mason graduated from Pensacola Christian College in 2006 with a Bachelor of Science in Management and Marketing. He has also completed graduate work at Southern New Hampshire University focusing on Business Administration and the Art Institute of Pittsburgh focusing on Graphic Design. Garretrt is also a 2003 graduate of Calvary Christian Academy.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Mason served on the following committees:
|Maine Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Veterans and Legal Affairs|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Mason served on these committees:
|Maine Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Criminal Justice and Public Safety|
|• Education and Cultural Affairs|
- See also: Maine State Senate elections, 2012
|Maine State Senate, District 17, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Garrett Mason Incumbent||50.1%||9,818|
- See also: Maine State Senate elections, 2010
|Maine State Senate, District 17|
|Garrett Mason (R)||9,027||53%|
|John Nutting (D)||7,153||42%|
In the June 8th primary election, Mason defeated Russell Pack by a margin of 1,975-1,432. 
|Maine State Senate, District 17 - Republican Primary (2010)|
Mason's campaign website lists several main issues: 
- Jobs - Mason will fight to lower taxes, and decrease regulation on many industries in Maine, so that jobs can be created. Mason will also work to overturn a "culture of dependence" on welfare.
- Energy - Mason is firmly opposed to any "cap-and-trade" legislation, and believes that it is nothing but a tax on working people and industry.
- Education - Mason believes that Maine's low performing public school system needs an overhaul. Mason supports charter schools and school vouchers.
- Government - "The more we allow government to encroach on our lives through the disguise of government programs and benefits, the more power they have to control our destiny. Once we lose our ability to control our own destiny, we will lose our liberty."
- Health Care - Mason supports giving Mainers the choice to search for health care in other states, and allowing free market common sense principals to prevail. Mason would work to remove the red tape of government and allow competition.
- Marriage - Mason supports Maine's statute that defines marriage as the union of one man and one woman. "At the same time...I will uphold Maine's current domestic partnership laws that give all medical and legal benefits to Mainers who choose to live together."
- Life - "I believe that life must be protected from the moment of conception until the time of natural death."
Comprehensive donor information for Mason is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Mason raised a total of $81,166 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 12, 2013.
|Garrett Mason's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Maine State Senate, District 17||$54,223|
|2010||Maine State Senate, District 17||$26,943|
|Grand Total Raised||$81,166|
2012Mason won re-election to the Maine State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Mason raised a total of $54,223.
|Maine State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Garrett Mason's campaign in 2012|
|Plowman for State Senate||$700|
|Maine Association of Realtors||$700|
|Common Sense Solutions for Maines Future||$700|
|Thibodeau, Michael D||$700|
|Total Raised in 2012||$54,223|
|Source: Follow the Money|
In 2010, Mason raised $26,943 in contributions. 
His largest contributor was the Public Fund, which donated $25,990 to his campaign.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Garrett + Mason + Maine + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official campaign website
- Senate website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2012, 2010
- Garrett Paul Mason for State Senate
- Mitt Romney for President, "Mitt Romney Announces Support of Additional Maine Elected Officials and Leaders," February 6, 2012
- Maine Secretary of State "Primary Candidate List," June 12, 2012
- Maine Official Election Results
- Results for the June 8, 2010 primary in Maine
- Garrett Mason for State Senate
- followthemoney.org, "Mason, Garrett Paul," accessed September 12, 2013
- 2010 contributions
John Nutting (D)
|Maine State Senate District 17
| Succeeded by|