|U.S. House, California, District 47|
When asked to name an example of an idea where he disagreed with his party at a League of Women Voters forum, DeLong stated three: he is pro-choice, pro-environment, and pro-marriage equality. "I support gay marriage. They don't," he said.
DeLong's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Excerpt: "It is time for Congress to follow the same spending rules that we do. You cannot spend more than you make. As your Representative I will work to pass a balanced budget and make my colleagues do the same."
- Excerpt: "America’s continued prosperity depends on our ability to give our children the tools they need to succeed. That said, not every child learns the same way. I believe states and local school districts are best equipped to respond to the uniqueness and diversity of every classroom."
- Excerpt: "We need to focus on developing viable and sustainable energy sources within the United States. Congress can help by streamlining regulations and investing in America’s energy resources. Whether we are advancing renewable energy, building more refineries, or studying new fuel sources, it is time to keep that money, and those jobs, here in America."
- Excerpt: "Americans need more affordable access to healthcare. However, it appears the recent changes will drive up the cost of insurance premiums to both business owners and citizens, while spending more than a trillion dollars of taxpayer money."
- Excerpt: "I believe the United States needs a clear and effective immigration policy that addresses four core areas: increasing border security, reforming legal immigration, delivering federal reimbursement to state and local government and creating a limited guest worker program."
DeLong ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing California's 47th District. He and Alan Lowenthal (D) advanced past the blanket primary on June 5, 2012, defeating Peter Mathews (D), Jay Shah (D), Usha Shah (D), Steve Foley (R), Sanford Kahn (R), and Steve Kuykendall (R). They faced off in the November 6, 2012, general election and Lowenthal won.
|U.S. House, California District 47 General Election, 2012|
|Source: California Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. House, California District 47, 2012 - Gary DeLong Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Election Winner||$1,210,251|
|Total Spent by Election Winner||$1,171,131|
|Top contributors to Gary DeLong's campaign committee|
|City of Long Beach, CA||$13,731|
|Keesal, Young & Logan||$13,250|
|City Light & Power||$12,500|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
DeLong and his wife, Dawna, have three children.
- CNN "California Districts Race - 2012 Election Center"
- Think Progress, "Republican Congressional Nominee Breaks With Party To Support Marriage Equality," October 11, 2012
- Campaign website, Priorities
- California Secretary of State, Official candidate list
- Unofficial election results
- Open Secrets "Gary DeLong 2012 Election Cycle," Accessed March 19, 2013
- Project Vote Smart biography
State of California
|Ballot measures by year||
1910 | 1911 | 1912 | 1914 | 1915 | 1916 | 1919 | 1920 | 1922 | 1924 | 1926 | 1928 | 1930 | 1932 | 1933 | 1934 | 1935 | 1936 | 1938 | 1939 | 1940 | 1942 | 1944 | 1946 | 1948 | 1949 | 1950 | 1952 | 1954 | 1956 | 1958 | 1960 | 1962 | 1964 | 1966 | 1968 | 1970 | 1972 | 1973 | 1974 | 1976 | 1978 | 1980 | 1982 | 1984 | 1986 | 1988 | 1990 | 1992 | 1993 | 1994 | 1996 | 1998 | 2000 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2006 (local) | 2008 | 2008 (local) | 2009 | 2009 (local) | 2010 | 2010 (local) | 2011 (local) | 2012 | 2012 (local) | 2014 | 2016 |
|State executive offices||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Controller | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary for Natural Resources | Director of Industrial Relations | President of Public Utilities |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
California school districts A - L |
California school districts M - Z |