|Texas State House, District 135|
|1995 - Present|
|January 13, 2015|
|Years in position||19|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Birthday||July 25, 1939|
|Place of birth||Houston, TX|
Elkins earned his BS in Practical Theology from Southwestern Assemblies of God University. He is the Owner/President of Personal Credit Corporation, and has worked as a consultant and in real estate.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Elkins served on the following committees:
|Texas Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Technology, Chair|
|• Urban Affairs|
|Texas Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Culture, Recreation, & Tourism, Vice-chair|
|• Local & Consent Calendars|
|• Ways & Means|
|Texas Committee Assignments, 2009|
|• Business & Industry, Vice-chair|
|• Human Services|
- HB 345 - Relating to a business's duty to protect sensitive personal information contained in its customer records.
- HB 2069 - Relating to a merchant's duties with respect to the use of a credit card, debit card, stored value card, or other access device.
- HB 3623 - Relating to covenants not to compete by physicians.
- HB 4372 - Relating to the resolution of overpayment or underpayment of income benefits under the workers' compensation program.
On his website Elkins lists some of his positions, including:
- "Supports requiring a valid Texas photo ID to vote"
- "Supports increased teacher pay"
- "Opposes state income tax and favors lowering taxes on small businesses"
- "Increased penalties against child predators by supporting Jessica's Law"
- "Supports the right of private citizens to keep and bear arms"
Elkins ran in the 2012 election for Texas House of Representatives, District 135. Elkins was unopposed in the May 29 primary and defeated Paul Morgan (D) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Texas House of Representatives, District 135, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Gary Elkins Incumbent||60.4%||32,023|
Elkins won re-election in District 135. He was unopposed in the March 2 Republican primary and faced no opposition in the November 2 general election.
On November 4, 2008, Elkins won re-election to the Texas House of Representatives from the 135th District, receiving 27,382 votes ahead of Democrat Trey Fleming (18,733) and Libertarian Alfred Montestruc (778). He raised $296,797 for his campaign.
|Texas House of Representatives, District 135|
|Gary Elkins (R)||27,382||58.39%|
|Trey S. Fleming (D)||18,733||39.94%|
|Alfred N. Montestruc (L)||778||1.65%|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
In 2010, Elkins received $166,282 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Texas House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Gary Elkins's campaign in 2010|
|Texas Credit Union League||$7,500|
|North Cypress Medical Center||$5,000|
|Texas Construction Association||$3,000|
|Associated General Contractors Of Texas||$3,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$166,282|
Elkins raised $296,797 in 2008. His top 5 campaign contributors are listed below.
|Texas Credit Union League||$12,000|
|Bob J Perry||$7,500|
Empower Texans Fiscal Responsibility Index
Empower Texans produces the Fiscal Responsibility Index as "a measurement of how lawmakers perform on size and role of government issues." The index uses "exemplar votes on core budget and free enterprise issues that demonstrate legislators' governing philosophy." Legislators are graded along a standard grading scale, receiving grades A through F based on their performance during the legislative session.
Gary Elkins received a grade of A on the 2011 Fiscal Responsibility Index.
- 2011 Taxpayer Champion. Elkins was named a "2011 Taxpayer Champion," which is "the top award presented by Texans for Fiscal Responsibility to legislators based on their rating on the most recent Fiscal Responsibility Index."
- Gary Elkins's campaign website
- Texas House of Representatives - Rep. Elkins
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 1998
- Freedom Speaks profile
- Texas State Directory profile
- Texas Political Almanac HD 135
- Texas Tribune profile & bio
- Vote-TX.org profile
- State Surge profile
- Gary Elkins on Facebook
- Gary Elkins on Twitter
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Elkins
- Texas Legislature - Bills Authored/Joint Authored by Rep. Elkins
- Gary Elkins Issues
- Texas GOP list of candidates for 2012 Elections
- Texas Secretary of State Election History
- Official Texas Election Results
- Texas House official election results for 2008
- District 135 Texas House candidate funds, 2008
- Follow the Money - 2010 Contributions
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign contributions
- Empower Texans, "Fiscal Responsibility Index"
- Empower Texans, "2011 Taxpayer Champions
|Texas House District 135
| Succeeded by|
State of Texas
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Secretary of State | Attorney General | Comptroller | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of General Land Office | Chairman of Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Utilities | Chairman of Railroad Commission |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
Texas school districts A - L |
Texas school districts M - Z |