|New Jersey General Assembly District 36|
|2006 - Present|
|Years in position||8|
|State Deputy Speaker of the Assembly|
|2012 - Present|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 3, 2009|
|Next general||November 8, 2011|
|Acting Mayor, City of Passaic|
|Place of birth||Pennsauken, NJ|
|Profession||Investment Consultant and Vice President, Private Client Group|
Schaer currently also serves on the Passaic City Council, a position he has held since 1994. He is the director of Urban Enterprise Zone, and has previously served as commissioner of the Passaic County Technical Institute (1999-2003), and the Passaic Housing Authority (1992-1996).
Running for re-election in the November 3, 2009 general election, Schaer received 21,908 votes (28%), defeating Republican challengers Carmen Pio Costa and Donald Diorio. He was bracketed with Frederick Scalera.
|New Jersey Assembly General Election, Thirty-Sixth Legislative District (2009)|
|Frederick Scalera (D)||23,353|
|Gary S. Schaer (D)||22,089|
|Carmen Pio Costa (R)||17,035|
|Donald Diorio (R)||16,691|
District 36 ranks seventh in fundraising
As of October 25, candidates for District 36 have raised $1,690,651--according to the New Jersey Election Law Enforcement Commission. This makes District 36 number seven in fundraising for the 2011 election season. Candidates for the district have spent $1,205,468 of their campaign funds.
Below are Schaer's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2009 election:
|Medical Society Of New Jersey||$15,200|
|New Jersey Education Association||$10,200|
|New Jersey Business & Industry Association||$9,700|
|Communications Workers New Jersey||$9,200|
|Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield Of New Jersey||$8,500|
- A260 Provides for conscientious exemption to mandatory immunizations.
- A2803 Abolishes Department of Personnel; transfers functions, powers, and duties primarily to new Civil Service Commission in but not of Department of Labor and Workforce Development; creates Civil Service Reform Task Force.
- A3162 Establishes the "New Jersey-Israel Commission" as a permanent commission in the Department of State.
- A3458 Creates permanent paper voting record pilot program; removes requirement that voting machines produce voter-verified paper record by January 1, 2009.
Schaer has been endorsed by:
- New Jersey General Assembly - Rep. Gary Schaer
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- NJ Assembly Dems - Assm. Schaer
- State Surge - Legislative and voting track record
- Campaign Contributions: 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005
- Gary Schaer on Facebook
- Project Vote Smart - Assemblyman Schaer
- New Jersey Department of State, 2011 Official General Assembly Primary Candidate List
- Star Ledger 2009 Election Results, November 4, 2009
- Official New Jersey Assembly General Election Results
- New Jersey ELEC, "News Release," November 3, 2011
- Follow the Money - 2009 Campaign contributions
- New Jersey Legislature - Bills by Sponsor
- Politicker NJ, 2011 AFL-CIO endorsed candidates, accessed Aug. 5, 2011
|New Jersey General Assembly District 36
| Succeeded by|
State of New Jersey
|State executive officer||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Protection | Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development | President of Public Utilities |