Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Illinois State Senate District 28|
|Profession||Mayor of Roselle/Small business owner|
Smolinski earned a B.S. in Journalism from Bowling Green.
On her campaign website Smolinski details her position on four issues. Here are excerpts:
- Our Economy: "The 2010 census shows that people are leaving our region to find economic opportunities elsewhere. In fact, companies are leaving our state, and taking jobs, in record numbers. I believe we need to create a business climate that allows us to recruit companies from other states, adding jobs and opportunities for our residents."
- State Finances: "In Roselle, we already have trimmed costs. We are currently looking at every service we provide and asking the tough questions: Is the service needed and at what level? Is the way we provide this service cost-effective? Can we use technology to help lower costs? I believe the State of Illinois should have begun this same vetting process the first time it could not make its pension payments, or became behind in paying its obligations."
- Local Issues: "Support the recent Busse Woods dam study," "Advocate for a full Elgin O'Hare-Western Bypass project," "Fight against adding a "value tax" on the communities of Elk Grove, Schaumburg, Roselle, Wood Dale, Itasca and Hanover Park to pay for the Elgin O'Hare improvements."
- Regional Issues: " Protecting our local government distributive funds (LGDF)," "Public pension reform," "Reject unfunded mandates," "Interest arbitration improvements," "Prevent foreclosures and protect neighborhoods"
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2012
Smolinski ran in the 2012 election for Illinois State Senate District 28. Smolinski was defeated by Jim O'Donnell (Illinois) in the Republican primary on March 20, 2012. Incumbent John Millner is not running for re-election in District 28. However, Daniel Kotowski, currently the Senate District 33 incumbent, ran unopposed in the Democratic primary. The general election took place on November 6, 2012.
- Official campaign website
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Gayle Smolinski on Facebook
- Gayle Smolinski on Twitter
- Gayle Smolinski on Flickr