|U.S. House, Illinois, District 6|
|High school||Dundee-Crown High School|
|Birthday||March 14, 1983|
|Place of birth||Chicago, Illinois|
- Saint Catherine of Sienna Catholic School
- Dundee-Crown High School
- Indiana University
- Land use and environmental consultant
- Executive Director of the not-for-profit Friends of the Fox River
On his campaign website Petzel has 8 leading issues that he is concerned about. They are:
- Economy: Excerpt: "I believe that by passing the President’s jobs bill, by lower corporate tax rates and closing tax loopholes and by investing in infrastructure at historically low borrowing rates we can create 5.8 million jobs in the next three years."
- Jobs: Excerpt: "We need to make significant changes to our spending priorities and our tax policy. The President’s jobs plan is expected to create 1.9 million jobs, that’s why I support President Obama’s jobs plan."
- Taxes: Excerpt: "A healthy economy that is creating jobs depends on a tax system that provides fairness, adequate revenue for government operations, and equality for businesses. In addition to approving the President’s jobs plan which will lower payroll taxes for employers and employees, these are my priorities for improving our economy by implementing changes in our tax system."
- Infrastructure Spending: Excerpt: "In addition to passing the President’s jobs plan which includes $27 billion in infrastructure spending, we must pass a comprehensive infrastructure spending bill. Infrastructure spending provides a significant impact on job creation. If the United States is ever going to invest in infrastructure we should do it now while interest rates at at the lowest point in decades."
- Education: Excerpt: I believe that Pell Grant funding is a critical education funding priority. In these economic times families and students are struggling to find a way to pay for ever increasing college costs. Head Start has been an immensly successful program helping millions of low income children and their families establish a ladder out of poverty. I believe that investing in our children’s education should remain a national priority. The AmeriCorps program requires hard work to earn a benefit, helps students pay for college, and instills a value of community and community service that lasts a lifetime. I support the continued funding of the AmeriCorps program and will fight to maintain its existing level of funding."
- Social Security: Excerpt: "I believe that by imposing the 6.2% Social Security tax on all income we will eliminate the Social Security budget deficit and run the fund with positive revenue projections for the next 75 years. The Rockefeller Foundation and National Academy of Social Insurance found that 83% of all Americans favor lifting the tax cap over raising taxes on all payers or extending the age that benefits begin. I will work toward a sustainable and lasting solution to solve our Social Security funding problem without putting the burden on recipients or the middle class."
- Energy: Excerpt: "Domestic energy production has significant impacts on the environment, economy and national security. By investing in renewable energy infrastructure we will improve our environment, rebuild our economy and make us more secure. 1. Upgrade the Transmission Systems 2. Mandate 25% renewable energy by 2025."
- Environment: Excerpt: "I believe that protecting our land, air, water and wildlife is essential. The continued assault on the Environmental Protection Agency and critical environmental legislation must stop. I will support efforts to strengthen protections for our environment."
Petzel ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing Illinois' 6th District. Petzel sought the nomination on the Democratic ticket.  The signature filing deadline was December 27, 2011, with the primary taking place on March 20, 2012. Incumbent Peter J. Roskam is seeking re-election on the Republican ticket.
Petzel was defeated by candidate Leslie Coolidge in the Democratic primary on March 20, 2012. Incumbent Peter Roskam ran unopposed in the Republican primary and will face Coolidge in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|U.S. House, Illinois' 6th Congressional District Democratic Primary, 2012|
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |