For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|Virginia Senate District 39|
|2008 - Present|
|January 11, 2012|
|Years in position||7|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2007|
|Next general||November 8, 2011|
|Date of birth||08/24/1951|
|Place of birth||Eldorado, IL|
Barker received a A.B at Harvard College and M.S. at Harvard University. Barker is a member of the Fairfax Presbyterian church.
In addition to serving as senator Barker works as a health planner.
- Education and Health
- General Laws and Technology
- Privileges and Elections
- Rehabilitation and Social Services
- See also: Virginia State Senate elections, 2011
Baker raised $976,911 for his campaign while O'Brien raised $893,431.
|Virginia State Senate, District 39 (2007)|
|George Barker (D)||19,892||50.92%|
|J.K. "Jay" O'Brien (R)||19,131||48.97%|
Barker's website lists the following issues:
- Excerpt: "Transportation remains a top priority for our region. Leaving our needs unaddressed is damaging to our economy and quality of life, while traffic continues to clog our highways and slow our economic progress."
- Excerpt: "Senator Barker has opposed BRAC and its negative effects on our community since before he was elected to the Senate. As chair of Fairfax County's Transportation Advisory Commission, he helped get the Army to reduce by half the number of people at the old Engineering Proving Ground in Springfield."
- Jobs and the Economy
- Excerpt: "George is working with leaders from both parties to create jobs and investment opportunities."
- Excerpt: "George works hard for Virginia veterans, and has passed several pieces of legislation aimed at strengthening our veteran community."
- Protecting Our Communities
- Excerpt: "Senator Barker wants to ensure that our communities remain safe and enjoyable places to live. He passed a major piece of legislation in 2011 that permits those in dating relationships and others beyond immediate family to seek protective orders when violence or harm is threatened."
- Health Care
- Excerpt: "Serving on the Education and Health Committee and the Joint Commission on Health Care, George is working to control health care costs, improve quality and outcomes, and make health care accessible for Virginia families."
- Excerpt: "We take pride in the caliber of our public schools, and our children have benefited immensely from the school systems we have in Northern Virginia."
- The Environment
- Excerpt: "Protecting our environment is one of Senator Barker's top priorities, and and he is an avid supporter of energy conservation."
Below are Barker's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2007 election:
|Democratic Party of Virginia||$281,419|
|Virginia Senate Democratic Caucus||$76,900|
|Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee||$50,000|
|Moving Virginia Forward||$50,000|
Barker was born in Eldorado, Illinois on August 24, 1951.
- Sen. Barker's website
- Biography from the Virginia Legislature
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions:2007
|Virginia Senate District 39
| Succeeded by|