New York State Senate District 9
- See also: New York State Senate elections, 2010
Sava ran unopposed in the September 14 Democratic primary. Sava was defeated by incumbent Dean Skelos (R) in the general election on November 2. Sava ran as a member of the Democratic and Working Families Party.
George Sava, "Why I'm Running"
Sava's campaign website lists several main issues:
- Budget Crisis: "New York is in a budget crisis, the result of decades of economic mismanagement and politicians who support wasteful programs, unneeded layers of government and patronage-filled bureaucracies at the taxpayers’ expense."
- Property Tax Relief: "We need real property tax reduction in Nassau County and real reform in Albany where out-of-control bureaucracy wastes Nassau County residents' tax dollars and demands more from families every year."
- Fixing Albany: "For too long, our current Senator has stood by while Albany has become a playground of bad deeds. You would be hard pressed to find a government agency or public authority that is not being overwhelmed by waste and inefficiency. We need proper oversight and accountability over all governmental taxing entities and all findings must be made public. George believes we deserve to know where our money is going!"
- Creating Jobs: "George chose to raise his family in Nassau County because he believes in our area. Like any community it must be protected from crimes that put our children at risk. George is a supporter of mandatory reporting practices and tough penalties on parole violations for dangerous sexual predators. A prior gun owner himself, George understands and strongly supports hand gun micro-stamping legislation as a way to prevent violent gun crime. Linking bullets with the criminals who fired them would save lives and provide law enforcement with an extra tool to track criminals."
- Equal Rights For All: "George Sava is committed to raising his children in a New York that is fair and equal for all its citizens, regardless of age, race, gender, or sexual orientation."
- Standing Up For Veterans: "George Sava proudly served in the military for over nine years. He is a veteran of Operation Enduring Freedom and in 2004 he was deployed to the Horn of Africa. George also specializes in aiding his fellow veterans in his private law practice. George knows first hand how important it is that our veterans have access to affordable healthcare, sustainable jobs once their service to our country has ended and aid to their families while they are deployed."
- BA Business Administration, Radford University, 1991
- JD, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, 1996
Sava for New York
96 Rockaway Avenue
Valley Stream, NY 11580
To contact the campaign use the web form here.
- Official campaign website
- Official campaign facebook page
- Official campaign twitter page
- Official candidate YouTube page
- Sava/Skelos Televised Debate
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Imagine Election profile