Georgia's 10th Congressional District elections, 2012
July 31, 2012
Paul C. Broun
Paul C. Broun
|Candidate Filing Deadline||Primary Election||General Election|
- See also: Georgia elections, 2012
Incumbent: Heading into the election the incumbent is Paul C. Broun (R), who was first elected in 2007.
This will be the first election using new district maps based on 2010 Census data. Georgia's 10th congressional district is located in the northeastern part of the state, the district includes the cities of Athens, Evans, Augusta, Watkinsville, and Toccoa.
General election candidates
- No candidates declared an intent to run
- Paul Broun
July 31, 2012, primary results
Blue vs. Red
Possible race ratings are:
Georgia's 10th district is a solidly Republican district.
In June 2012, Sabato's Crystal Ball rated Georgia's 10th district as solidly Republican.
Justice Department sues over voting deadlines
On June 29, 2012 the Department of Justice has filed suit in federal court against the state of Georgia, alleging that service members, their family members and overseas civilian voters won’t have time to vote by absentee ballot in run-off elections, if they are required. According to the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA), states must transmit all validly requested ballots to UOCAVA voters at least 45 days before an election, unless a hardship exemption is obtained, for which Georgia failed to file. However, this conflicts with the timeline for runoff elections, in which the primary runoff, by law, must be held 21 days after the regular or special primary election, and if a run-off is required after the Nov. 6 general election, it will be held 28 days later, on Dec. 4, which also wouldn’t provide the required 45 days.
As part of the lawsuit, the Department of Justice is asking Georgia to "extend the ballot receipt deadline to Aug. 31 for these voters, to send ballots by express delivery as soon as possible before the Aug. 21 run-off election, and inform UOCAVA voters no later than July 7 of their right to request a state write-in absentee ballot or their official absentee ballot for any run-off election by downloading it from the Internet, by email, or by fax."
Impact of redistricting
- See also: Redistricting in Georgia
|U.S. House of Representatives, Georgia's 10th Congressional District, General Election, 2010|
|Republican||Paul C. Broun Incumbent||67.4%||138,062|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Georgia, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2012
- Georgia Secretary of State "Election Dates," Accessed April 25, 2012
- Georgia Redistricting "Map" Accessed July 2012
- Georgia Secretary of State Elections Division "Candidate List" accessed May 28, 2012
- Athens Banner Herald "Retired Army officer will challenge Broun" accessed December 4, 2011
- Center for Politics "2012 House Ratings," Updated June 27, 2012
- Marine Corps Times "Justice sues Georgia over voting deadlines" Accessed July 24, 2012
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"