Georgia's 12th Congressional District elections, 2014
November 4, 2014
May 20, 2014
Heading into the election the incumbent is John Barrow (D), who was first elected in 2004.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.General election candidates
May 20, 2014, primary results
Declined to run
Incumbent John Barrow (D), is one of seven early targets listed by the National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) in the 2014 congressional elections. The seven targets align perfectly with the seven most Republican districts currently held by Democrats, according to FairVote's partisanship index. Barrow's district ranks as the 4th most Republican (41% D).
Barrow is a member of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee's Frontline Program. The program is designed to help protect vulnerable Democratic incumbents heading into the 2014 election.
The National Republican Congressional Committee's second ad against Barrow, "ObamaCare is Here to Stay, Thanks to John Barrow"
The National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) announced its second television campaign targeting Rep. John Barrow on August 13, 2013. The ad — backed by a $10,000 buy in the Augusta media market — seeks to tie Barrow to the president’s health care law, which remains unpopular in Georgia.
This marks the House GOP committee’s second ad buy against Barrow in the 2014 cycle. In March 2013, the NRCC spent $2,750 on an ad against Barrow in the Augusta media market. Barrow is one of the NRCC’s top targets in 2014.
|U.S. House, Georgia District 12 General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||John Barrow Incumbent||53.7%||139,148|
|Source: Georgia Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. House of Representatives, Georgia's 12th Congressional District, General Election, 2010|
|Democratic||John Barrow Incumbent||56.6%||92,459|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Georgia, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013 through January 3, 2014 researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- Georgia Redistricting "Map" accessed July 2012
- Examiner, "Eugene Yu drops out of Senate race, enters Ga's 12th district," accessed February 24, 2014
- Z Politics, "Eugene Yu announces for U. S. Senate," accessed August 26, 2013
- Atlanta Journal Constitution, "Your daily jolt: Korean-American to enter GOP race for U.S. Senate," accessed August 26, 2013
- Florida Times Union, "Georgia's first Korean candidate for Senate says common sense makes him qualified," accessed August 26, 2013
- Georgia Secretary of State, "Candidate List," accessed March 8, 2014
- Roll Call, "Georgia: House Aide Stone to Challenge Barrow Again in 2014," February 15, 2013
- The Republic "Rick Allen of Augusta running again for GOP nomination to challenge Rep. John Barrow in 2014" accessed June 5, 2012
- Peach Pundit, "Delvis Dutton Enters 12th CD Race To Challenge Barrow," accessed February 5, 2014
- Daily Journal, "State Rep. Delvis Dutton enters GOP primary race for congressional seat of Democrat Barrow," accessed February 5, 2014
- The Republic "No shortage of Ga. Republicans weighing challenges to Rep. John Barrow for GOP-leaning seat" accessed June 14, 2013
- Atlanta Journal Constitution "GOP hits John Barrow, still waiting on a candidate" accessed June 14, 2013
- Augusta Chronicle "Wright McLeod says he won't run for U.S. Congress seat" accessed June 14, 2013
- The Hill, "NRCC, promising to 'stay on offense,' targets seven Dems," January 16, 2013
- FairVote "NRCC Targets Foreshadow Power of Partisanship in 2014 Elections," January 18, 2013
- Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, "DCCC Chairman Steve Israel Announces 2013-2014 Frontline Members," March 5, 2013
- Roll Call, "House Republicans Attack John Barrow on Ga. Television #GA12," accessed August 14, 2013
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"