Georgia Sales Tax Increase to Fund Transportation Projects, Referendum 1 (July 2012)
|Sales Tax for Transportation Amendment|
|Referred by:||Georgia State Legislature|
|Status:||On the ballot|
Former Gov. Sonny Perdue pushed for the plan, which would increase the sales tax in Georgia by one-cent. In a news conference in January 2010 he described his proposal as "the ultimate democratic referendum on investing in transportation". As of 2012, Gov. Nathan Deal currently serves as the state's governor.
On Tuesday, February 7, 2012, the Georgia House of Representatives introduced HB 938, co-sponsored by Representative Matthew Ramsey. If enacted, the bill would void the sales tax referendum, and instead, place a constitutional amendment on the November ballot asking voters whether or not regional sales taxes for transportation purposes should be authorized. The bill then outlines a plan under which any two or more counties contiguous to each other could draft a transportation sales tax proposal, which would then be put to the voters in each county as a referendum.
The state chamber of commerce, backed by local chambers, is a major driver in the effort to pass the measure, saying it is an opportunity for economic development. Some other arguments given for the measure include:
- Necessary due to decreased funding to the state Department of Transportation.
- Shares responsibility for transportation projects with local level of government. 
Path to the ballot
- See also: Amending the Georgia Constitution
The following is a timeline of events surrounding the measure:
|Introduction||Jan. 2010||Gov. Sonny Perdue , in a news conference, described proposal as "the ultimate democratic referendum on investing in transportation".|
|Signed||Jun. 2, 2010||Governor signed measure for ballot access after legislative approval.|
- The Florida Times-Union,"Analysis: Campaign for Georgia transportation tax needs to go local," April 24, 2011
- The Gainesville Times.com,"Northeast Georgia gets road tax projects," April 24, 2011
- RockdaleCitizen.com,"Transportation project wish list released," April 18, 2011
- Rome News-Tribune "Georgia Chamber supports July T-SPLOST vote," March 6, 2012
- KSFM-5 TV, "Ga. gov says he will propose bond package for transportation; backs statewide sales tax vote", January 14, 2010
- Associated Press,"Gov. Perdue: Ga. Should Vote On Transportation Tax," January 14, 2010
- TheCitizen.com "Move afoot to kill regional transportation tax," February 8, 2012
- Ledger-enquirer "Sales tax referendum backers say suggested tax increase vital to future," February 6, 2012
- Atlanta Business Chronicle,"Perdue inks transportation funding measure," June 2, 2010
- Examiner,"Tax vote to appear on 2012 ballot," June 3, 2010